scored four goals in the second period to put the game out of reach, and rode goaltender Martin Jones’ hot hand the rest of the way.
Jones recorded 28 saves for his fourth shutout of the season and the 11th of his short NHL career. Brent Burns, Matt Nieto Melker Kalrlson, Joonas Donskoi and Joe Pavelski added goals for the Sharks, with Pavelski extending his team high goal total to 21 for the season.
The win was a much-needed home win for the Sharks, who have inexplicably struggled on home ice the past year and half. It also stretched the Sharks’ recent mastery over the Maple Leafs, who they’ve beaten in 10 of the last 11 matchups.
The seven goal margin of victory matched the NHL season high this year, a November Nashville Predator victory over the Winnipeg Jets by the same 7-0 score.
- Heading into Saturday afternoon’s game, the Sharks were 5-12 at home, the club’s worst start at home through 17 games since the SAP Center opened 23 years ago. It’s the Sharks’ second-worst home record to start a season, behind only a 3-14 mark posted in the Shark’s second-ever season, 1992-93.
- The Sharks’ 10 points at home is worst in the NHL. The Columbus Blue Jackets are next closest team, with 17 points recorded at home.
- While the Sharks entered Saturday in 6th place in the Pacific Division, they hold games in hand over every team in the division, having played four less than last place Edmonton and two games less than Los Angeles, Arizona, Anaheim and Calgary. With nine more games in 17 days before the All-Star break, the Sharks have a chance to get back into the playoff race.
- Next up for the Sharks is a quick two-game road trip to Calgary on Monday and Winnipeg on Tuesday.
When behind the net don’t be afraid to score a wrap-around goal. 🔑 pic.twitter.com/enIfx3Ugbx
— San Jose Sharks (@SanJoseSharks) January 10, 2016
Photo Credit: Don Smith/Getty Images
Latest posts by Ray Hartjen (see all)
- Raiders re-sign DE Aldon Smith - April 5, 2016
- Scottie Pippen says 1995-96 Chicago Bulls would dominate current Warriors roster - April 3, 2016
- Playoff berth continues to evade Sharks - March 27, 2016