As if there wasn’t already enough hype heading into Sunday’s matchup between the Los Angeles Chargers and Miami Dolphins — given it’s the home opener for a team in new city, and the season opener for a team who had it’s Week 1 schedule affected by Hurricane Irma — Chargers linebacker Melvin Ingram said Thursday opposing QB Jay Cutler “wouldn’t be a problem” for the Chargers’ defense.
When asked by reporters what problems the former Bears QB presents his unit, said, “None. We don’t see him as a problem for us.”
Head coach Anthony Lynn sang a slightly different tune, though, giving the veteran QB credit for his “escapability” and ability to be a “wild card.”
The last time the Chargers played a Cutler-led team was in 2015 on Monday Night Football. Ingram actually recorded a sack on Cutler that night and even forced a fumble; Cutler finished the game with a game-clinching touchdown throw with a few minutes left to play.
The Chargers lost eight games by seven points or fewer last year, one of them to the Dolphins. They’ll look to avenge that loss, as well as kick off their career in Los Angeles on the right note.