Earlier this offseason, the Los Angeles Lakers were reportedly one of the teams that expressed interest in former NBA Finals MVP Andre Iguodala before he decided to re-sign with the Golden State Warriors.
According to Chris Haynes of ESPN, Los Angeles had made a one-year, $20 million offer to Iguodala after being the first team to call him up the start of free agency.
“Los Angeles had significant cap space and a desperate need for veteran leadership to help guide its young core, including Lonzo Ball and Brandon Ingram. The call lasted about 20 minutes, sources said, but the Lakers were optimistic and offered a one-year deal in the $20 million-plus range.”
At the time of the call to Iguodala, Los Angeles had about $18 million in salary cap space at their disposal to use. Given the front office’s mind frame heading into the offseason, it’s not surprising to hear that the team had offered him a one-year deal due to their plan to keep as much cap space open for next summer.
That said, Iguodala likely never had any true interest in making the jump to Los Angeles despite the connections to head coach Luke Walton, team president Magic Johnson, and even general manager Rob Pelinka. The 33-year-old’s focus at this stage of his career was signing with the destination where he has the best chance to win, and the Warriors provide him that moving forward.
As for the Lakers, the team wound using salary cap space to sign Kentavious Caldwell-Pope to a one-year deal that maintains the huge amount of salary cap space for next offseason.
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Lakers squeeze past Clippers in preseason finale - October 13, 2017
- Lakers news: Lonzo Ball back in practice, uncertain for preseason finale - October 12, 2017
- Lakers news: Luke Walton believes Julius Randle is playing ‘pissed off’ - October 11, 2017