Following much speculation, the Los Angeles Lakers on Monday announced that the team has bought out the contract of veteran guard Jose Calderon.
Calderon was in his first season with the Lakers after being acquired last summer from the Chicago Bulls in exchange for a pair of future second-round picks. He averaged 3.3 points, 2.1 assists, and 1.7 rebounds in 12.2 minutes in 24 games played with 11 starts.
Beyond his diminishing role in the rotation, Los Angeles’ trade for point guard Tyler Ennis from the Houston Rockets prior to the trade deadline provided a clear signal that Calderon’s time with the team was nearing an end. He had also played in just one contest in the last month and was listed as inactive for his final game.
The 35-year-old took to Twitter on Monday evening to voice his appreciation toward the time that he spent in Los Angeles.
— jose manuel calderon (@JmCalderon) February 28, 2017
The veteran guard is expected to sign with the Golden State Warriors if he is able to clear waivers on Wednesday at 5 p.m ET. Meanwhile, Los Angeles has already decided to bring up David Nwaba from the Los Angeles Defenders on a 10-day contract to keep their roster at a league maximum 15 players.
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Lakers news: Magic Johnson wants Lonzo Ball to be ‘a bit more selfish’ next season - April 13, 2018
- Lakers news: Lonzo Ball says Magic Johnson and Rob Pelinka told him will be ‘biggest summer of his life’ - April 12, 2018
- Lakers news: Luke Walton hoping career night motivates Josh Hart - April 11, 2018