Earlier this week, the Chargers announced they were leaving San Diego for L.A., and they followed that announcement by filling their head coaching void.
The Chargers agreed to a four-year contract with former Buffalo Bills offensive coordinator and interim coach Anthony Lynn, according to the L.A. Times. A press conference introducing Lynn is expected to come next week.
Lynn, 48, will become the head coach of a team that won a combined nine games in the last two seasons. He replaces Mike McCoy, who went 27-37 in four seasons as head coach.
“I’m having a hard time even putting into words how excited I am to be the new head coach for the Los Angeles Chargers,” Lynn said via the Chargers’ website.
He becomes the first African-American head coach and the 16th head coach in franchise history, per ESPN.
Lynn played running back with the Denver Broncos and San Francisco 49ers. He has been a running backs coach with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Dallas Cowboys, Cleveland Browns, New York Jets and Buffalo Bills.
The Chargers have not made the playoffs since 2013, and they have lost 18 games decided by one-score over the past two seasons.
John Spanos, Chargers club president of football operations, said Lynn is a natural leader.
“He’s had a number of great coaching influences in his life and as a former player who won two Super Bowls, Anthony knows first-hand what championship pedigree is all about.” Spanos said via the L.A. Times.
Spanos added that the team could not be more excited about having Lynn lead them into a new era of Chargers football.
The Chargers become the second NFL team enter the Los Angeles market in two seasons. Hiring Lynn was the team’s first move since announcing their move to Los Angeles.
Chargers have adjusted their social-media logo for third time in two days. Now reads: "Los Angeles Chargers." pic.twitter.com/mpaLcoxWVb
— Michael Gehlken (@sdutGehlken) January 13, 2017
After 56 seasons in San Diego, the Chargers will move to L.A. for the 2017 season.The Chargers played their inagural season in L.A. in 1960.
Now, they will play at the StubHub Center until the Inglewood stadium is completed in 2019. The StubHub Center only holds 30,000 seats, which is smaller than typical NFL Stadiums.
A.G. Spanos, the team’s president of business operations, said the StubHub Center makes ever seat feel close to the action.
“The new stadium at Hollywood Park will be a tremendous stage, and we can’t wait to play there, but right now it’s about introducing ourselves and getting to know new fans and partners in a special, one-of-a-kind setting.” A.G. Spanos said via the San Diego Union-Tribune.
The lack of a modern football stadium in San Diego prompted the move to Los Angeles. This move came two months after San Diego voters rejected a tax increase for a stadium and convention center that the Chargers proposed for downtown, per the San Diego Union-Tribune. According to the same report, this latest proposal came after nine different stadium solutions since the early 2000s.
Chargers owner Dean Spanos penned a letter explaining his decision to relocate the team, earlier this week.
A letter from Dean Spanos pic.twitter.com/rTNIvrsN1A
— Los Angeles Chargers (@Chargers) January 12, 2017
The Chargers must pay the league a $550 million relocation fee, which could get higher if paid over ten years, according to the Union-Tribune.
The L.A. Chargers will setup their home base in Costa Mesa, Calif.
Latest posts by Pete D. Camarillo (see all)
- Raiders to Las Vegas: NFL Owners Approve Relocation - March 28, 2017
- Raiders Draft: Three NFL Prospects To Know - March 23, 2017
- Rams Draft: Three NFL Prospects You Should Know - March 22, 2017