- Julius Randle injury: Lakers rookie suffers broken leg in 1st NBA game
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Missed tackles, timely penalties cost Bolts
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Bolts beat themselves, lose 23-20
- Percy Harvin trade showcases the bureaucracy of sports
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report
- Chargers news: Branden Oliver is just what the Bolts needed
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador
- Chargers secondary flying under the radar
- Sharks finally finish Kings in season opener, 4-0
- Lakers training camp 2014: Has Wesley Johnson found his niche?
Seahawks’ Earl Thomas ready for punt return duty in 2014
- Updated: August 25, 2014
It looks like the Seahawks and head coach Pete Carroll were serious when All-Pro safety Earl Thomas was mentioned as a top candidate to take over punt returning duties after the departure of Golden Tate during free agency. In Friday’s preseason game against the Chicago Bears, Thomas ripped off a 59-yard return before being tackled.
Thomas is listed as the top returner on the Seahawks’ unofficial depth chart, and only cornerback Phillip Adams and receiver Bryan Walters have returned punts so far in the preseason.
Thomas has earned a reputation as one of the more solid safeties in the league, and he was rewarded this past offseason with a four-year contract extension worth a reported $40 million, with $27.725 million guaranteed. But, returning punts seems a very risky way for the Seahawks to create a return on that investment. Oakland Raiders fans from a generation ago can attest to that, after seeing receiver Tim Brown’s second season end with a knee injury.
The Seahawks open defense of their Super Bowl championship Thursday, September 4, hosting the Green Bay Packers.
Photo Credit: Tom Pennington/Getty Images North America
Latest posts by Ray Hartjen (see all)
- Derek Carr, Khalil Mack earn midseason All-Rookie honors - October 30, 2014
- Sharks game recap: Win over Avs in shootout - October 29, 2014
- Sharks recap: Dominant win ruffles Ducks - October 27, 2014