- Adam Silver says NBA players don’t tank
- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
Seahawks’ Earl Thomas ready for punt return duty in 2014
- Updated: August 25, 2014
It looks like the Seahawks and head coach Pete Carroll were serious when All-Pro safety Earl Thomas was mentioned as a top candidate to take over punt returning duties after the departure of Golden Tate during free agency. In Friday’s preseason game against the Chicago Bears, Thomas ripped off a 59-yard return before being tackled.
Thomas is listed as the top returner on the Seahawks’ unofficial depth chart, and only cornerback Phillip Adams and receiver Bryan Walters have returned punts so far in the preseason.
Thomas has earned a reputation as one of the more solid safeties in the league, and he was rewarded this past offseason with a four-year contract extension worth a reported $40 million, with $27.725 million guaranteed. But, returning punts seems a very risky way for the Seahawks to create a return on that investment. Oakland Raiders fans from a generation ago can attest to that, after seeing receiver Tim Brown’s second season end with a knee injury.
The Seahawks open defense of their Super Bowl championship Thursday, September 4, hosting the Green Bay Packers.
Photo Credit: Tom Pennington/Getty Images North America
Latest posts by Ray Hartjen (see all)
- Report: 49ers release Ray McDonald after new allegations - December 17, 2014
- San Jose Sharks’ holiday wish list - December 17, 2014
- Sharks’ 2-0 win over Preds further builds identity - December 14, 2014