- Chargers vs. Bills, Week 3: Can Bolts build off big win?
- Chargers will go as far as Philip Rivers, veterans will take them
- Chargers vs. Seahawks: 3 things we learned in the Bolts’ 30-21 win
- NFL season 2014: Top 5 surprises of Week 2
- NFL mishandles Ray Rice situation
- Chargers vs. Cardinals, NFL Week 1 preview: Bolts have early road test on MNF stage
- Eric Weddle on 2014 Chargers: ‘We can beat anybody’
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
Report: Sam Cassell will join Los Angeles Clippers coaching staff
- Updated: August 3, 2014
Sam Cassell has accepted an assistant coaching position with the Los Angeles Clippers, as first reported by Jared Zwerling of Bleacher Report. Cassell will leave the Washington Wizards staff after five seasons as an assistant coach to reunite with Doc Rivers in Los Angeles. Cassell’s final season as a player in the NBA was with Rivers’ Celtics.
According to J. Michael of CSN Washington, Sam Cassell has been allowed out of his current contract with the Wizards to join the Clippers’ staff. All this came just weeks after Cassell had a significant role in luring former teammate Paul Pierce to Washington.
Cassell was monumental in developing the likes of John Wall and Bradley Beal. While the Clippers may not necessarily need as much guidance as a young Wizards squad, Rivers clearly values what Cassell brings to the table.
The addition of Cassell to the coaching staff was already in the making once Tyronn Lue left L.A. for a seemingly lateral move to become the associate head coach for the Cleveland Cavaliers. Lue is currently the highest-paid assistant coach in the league, at $6.5 million over four years.
Cassell as a replacement leaves the Clippers with a long-term option of a head coach once Rivers leaves and/or retires.
Photo credit: Elsa/Getty Images
Latest posts by Rohit Ghosh (see all)
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley, acquire Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica - August 26, 2014
- Blake Griffin on Steve Ballmer intro: ‘I literally had goose bumps’ - August 19, 2014
- Report: Los Angeles Clippers will work out Andrew Bynum, Greg Oden - August 5, 2014