- Lou Holtz retires: Hopefully shows shift at ESPN
- Anquan Boldin on Colin Kaepernick: ‘Trust your skills’
- NFL trade rumors: Titans Willing to trade No.2 Pick?
- Nick Young injury: Lakers forward likely done for season
- Metta World Peace expressed interest in St. John’s head coaching job
- Darren Sharper settles multiple rape charges with plea deal
- NFL free agency 2015: Are there any targets left for the Seattle Seahawks?
- Michael Crabtree visits Dolphins amid shrinking market
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 100-98 loss to Rockets
Report: Sam Cassell will join Los Angeles Clippers coaching staff
- Updated: August 3, 2014
Sam Cassell has accepted an assistant coaching position with the Los Angeles Clippers, as first reported by Jared Zwerling of Bleacher Report. Cassell will leave the Washington Wizards staff after five seasons as an assistant coach to reunite with Doc Rivers in Los Angeles. Cassell’s final season as a player in the NBA was with Rivers’ Celtics.
According to J. Michael of CSN Washington, Sam Cassell has been allowed out of his current contract with the Wizards to join the Clippers’ staff. All this came just weeks after Cassell had a significant role in luring former teammate Paul Pierce to Washington.
Cassell was monumental in developing the likes of John Wall and Bradley Beal. While the Clippers may not necessarily need as much guidance as a young Wizards squad, Rivers clearly values what Cassell brings to the table.
The addition of Cassell to the coaching staff was already in the making once Tyronn Lue left L.A. for a seemingly lateral move to become the associate head coach for the Cleveland Cavaliers. Lue is currently the highest-paid assistant coach in the league, at $6.5 million over four years.
Cassell as a replacement leaves the Clippers with a long-term option of a head coach once Rivers leaves and/or retires.
Photo credit: Elsa/Getty Images
Latest posts by Rohit Ghosh (see all)
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 107-92 win over Spurs - April 19, 2015
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 100-98 loss to Rockets - March 15, 2015
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 126-99 win over Kings - February 21, 2015