- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
- Sharks close trip with uninspired loss 4-1 loss to Sabres
- Chargers notes: Seyi Ajirotutu fined, Ryan Mathews and Manti Te’O to return after bye
- Clippers’ concerns revolve around defense and rebounding
- Do the 49ers have an identity crisis?
- Marcus Lattimore injury: 49ers running back has bigger issue
- Klay Thompson signs 4-year, $70 million extension with Warriors
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win
Report: Sam Cassell will join Los Angeles Clippers coaching staff
- Updated: August 3, 2014
Sam Cassell has accepted an assistant coaching position with the Los Angeles Clippers, as first reported by Jared Zwerling of Bleacher Report. Cassell will leave the Washington Wizards staff after five seasons as an assistant coach to reunite with Doc Rivers in Los Angeles. Cassell’s final season as a player in the NBA was with Rivers’ Celtics.
According to J. Michael of CSN Washington, Sam Cassell has been allowed out of his current contract with the Wizards to join the Clippers’ staff. All this came just weeks after Cassell had a significant role in luring former teammate Paul Pierce to Washington.
Cassell was monumental in developing the likes of John Wall and Bradley Beal. While the Clippers may not necessarily need as much guidance as a young Wizards squad, Rivers clearly values what Cassell brings to the table.
The addition of Cassell to the coaching staff was already in the making once Tyronn Lue left L.A. for a seemingly lateral move to become the associate head coach for the Cleveland Cavaliers. Lue is currently the highest-paid assistant coach in the league, at $6.5 million over four years.
Cassell as a replacement leaves the Clippers with a long-term option of a head coach once Rivers leaves and/or retires.
Photo credit: Elsa/Getty Images
Latest posts by Rohit Ghosh (see all)
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 120-107 win over Suns - November 16, 2014
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 106-102 win over Blazers - November 8, 2014
- Portland Trail Blazers vs Los Angeles Clippers live game thread - November 8, 2014