- NFL quote roundup, Week 15: No team in LA for 2015 season
- Adam Silver says NBA players don’t tank
- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
Report: Sam Cassell will join Los Angeles Clippers coaching staff
- Updated: August 3, 2014
Sam Cassell has accepted an assistant coaching position with the Los Angeles Clippers, as first reported by Jared Zwerling of Bleacher Report. Cassell will leave the Washington Wizards staff after five seasons as an assistant coach to reunite with Doc Rivers in Los Angeles. Cassell’s final season as a player in the NBA was with Rivers’ Celtics.
According to J. Michael of CSN Washington, Sam Cassell has been allowed out of his current contract with the Wizards to join the Clippers’ staff. All this came just weeks after Cassell had a significant role in luring former teammate Paul Pierce to Washington.
Cassell was monumental in developing the likes of John Wall and Bradley Beal. While the Clippers may not necessarily need as much guidance as a young Wizards squad, Rivers clearly values what Cassell brings to the table.
The addition of Cassell to the coaching staff was already in the making once Tyronn Lue left L.A. for a seemingly lateral move to become the associate head coach for the Cleveland Cavaliers. Lue is currently the highest-paid assistant coach in the league, at $6.5 million over four years.
Cassell as a replacement leaves the Clippers with a long-term option of a head coach once Rivers leaves and/or retires.
Photo credit: Elsa/Getty Images
Latest posts by Rohit Ghosh (see all)
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 120-100 win over Pelicans - December 7, 2014
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 120-107 win over Suns - November 16, 2014
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 106-102 win over Blazers - November 8, 2014