- Clippers fined $250K for mishandling DeAndre Jordan free agency
- Leonard Williams avoids serious knee-injury
- Tyrell Williams – former NCAA Division II wideout – is bolting up in San Diego
- Boise State denies that Sam Ukwuachu’s 2013 dismissal was because of allegations of abuse
- Russell Wilson says he didn’t suffer a concussion in NFC Championship game
- Josh Rosen beats out Jerry Neuheisel as UCLA starting quarterback
- Jered Weaver says dugout outburst not aimed at Mike Trout
- Chargers news: Chris Watt should be getting more attention than D.J. Fluker
- Connor Halliday ready to restart professional football career
- Raiders, Taylor Mays officially agree to contract terms
Report: Sam Cassell will join Los Angeles Clippers coaching staff
- Updated: August 3, 2014
Sam Cassell has accepted an assistant coaching position with the Los Angeles Clippers, as first reported by Jared Zwerling of Bleacher Report. Cassell will leave the Washington Wizards staff after five seasons as an assistant coach to reunite with Doc Rivers in Los Angeles. Cassell’s final season as a player in the NBA was with Rivers’ Celtics.
According to J. Michael of CSN Washington, Sam Cassell has been allowed out of his current contract with the Wizards to join the Clippers’ staff. All this came just weeks after Cassell had a significant role in luring former teammate Paul Pierce to Washington.
Cassell was monumental in developing the likes of John Wall and Bradley Beal. While the Clippers may not necessarily need as much guidance as a young Wizards squad, Rivers clearly values what Cassell brings to the table.
The addition of Cassell to the coaching staff was already in the making once Tyronn Lue left L.A. for a seemingly lateral move to become the associate head coach for the Cleveland Cavaliers. Lue is currently the highest-paid assistant coach in the league, at $6.5 million over four years.
Cassell as a replacement leaves the Clippers with a long-term option of a head coach once Rivers leaves and/or retires.
Photo credit: Elsa/Getty Images
Latest posts by Rohit Ghosh (see all)
- Clippers fined $250K for mishandling DeAndre Jordan free agency - August 30, 2015
- Giovani dos Santos dazzles in debut as Los Angeles Galaxy win 3-1 - August 9, 2015
- Melvin Gordon feels good about adjusting to NFL speed - August 2, 2015