- Boise State denies that Sam Ukwuachu’s 2013 dismissal was because of allegations of abuse
- Russell Wilson says he didn’t suffer a concussion in NFC Championship game
- Josh Rosen beats out Jerry Neuheisel as UCLA starting quarterback
- Jered Weaver says dugout outburst not aimed at Mike Trout
- Chargers news: Chris Watt should be getting more attention than D.J. Fluker
- Connor Halliday ready to restart professional football career
- Raiders, Taylor Mays officially agree to contract terms
- NaVorro Bowman brings needed lift to 49ers
- Kenny Stabler named Pro Football Hall of Fame senior finalist
- Sounders FC score 2 late goals against CD Olimpia in CONCACAF Champions League
Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Updated: July 24, 2014
On the wrong side of time, nursing an injury with prospects at the helm, the Oakland Raiders released Kevin Burnett according to Vic Tafur.
#Raiders cut LB Kevin Burnett
— Vic Tafur (@VicTafur) July 24, 2014
Burnett, a 10-year NFL veteran who will turn 32 in December, signed a two-year, $5.25 million contract in 2013. The outside linebacker suffered an ankle injury in OTAs earlier this summer.
Last year Burnett more than held his own, producing 83 solo tackles and forcing three fumbles in 16 weakside starts, but his pass coverage left more to be desired. Burnett’s future with the Raiders was already up in the air following the drafting of Khalil Mack and the development of Sio Moore and Miles Burris. Eight-year veteran Nick Roach has the starting Mike position to himself.
While Burnett will miss sharing a locker room with his younger brother Kaelin Burnett, he shouldn’t worry about his work appeal. The former San Diego Chargers and Miami Dolphins defender is being linked to the Dallas Cowboys, who drafted him in the second round in 2005, and the Buffalo Bills, who also need linebacking help.
Photo Credit: Nflrush.com