- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
NBA Summer League, Day 5: Bulls Dominate on Way to #1 Seed
- Updated: July 15, 2014
Las Vegas — The fifth day of action at the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas brought the last day of the preliminary round to determine the seeding for the tournament portion of the event. Every team will have at least two more games as they are all still in the hunt for the championship.
Portland Trailblazers 91, Atlanta Hawks 76
The Portland Trailblazers dominated the Atlanta Hawks on their way to a 15-point victory that was much larger throughout the game. Atlanta never once had the lead during the game as CJ McCollum put down 28 points to lead the Blazers. This win gives Atlanta a 2-1 record and guaranteed them a top-eight seed and first round bye in the tournament.
Chicago Bulls 107, Minnesota Timberwolves 73
The second game of the day saw yet another huge performance from Doug McDermott with 20 points as he led the Chicago Bulls over the Minnesota Timberwolves. The victory gave Chicago an undefeated record and the No. 1 seed going into the tournament portion. Throughout their first three games, the Bulls have not lost a quarter in Las Vegas this year.
Los Angeles Clippers 60, Houston Rockets 83
The third contest of the day saw yet another rout as the Houston Rockets had their way with the Los Angeles Clippers to avoid going winless throughout the preliminary round. Houston’s win kept them from being the worst-seeded team going into the tournament and should help them with possibly advancing in their next few games.
Miami Heat 83, Washington Wizards 85
The Washington Wizards squeaked out a narrow victory over the Miami Heat in the fourth game of the day after letting a 22-point first quarter lead dwindle away. The win gave the Wizards an undefeated record and guaranteed them a No. 4 seed and first round bye. They were led by Otto Porter and Glen Rice Jr. who tallied 19 and 24 points respectively.
Philadelphia 76ers 88, Phoenix Suns 97
The Phoenix Suns had little trouble with the Philadelphia 76ers in the second-to-last game of the day. T.J. Warren led the team with 28 points to help the Suns to a 2-1 record after they dropped their first game to the defending Summer League champion Golden State Warriors. The Suns will go into the tournament as the ninth seed and be the highest-seeded team without a bye.
Utah Jazz 69, Denver Nuggets 87
The final contest of the day saw yet another lopsided affair as the Utah Jazz came back from a 7-point first quarter deficit to beat the Denver Nuggets. The win moved the Jazz to a 2-1 record along with the fifth seed and a first round bye. They were led by 17-point days by both Ian Clark and Erik Murphy.
Photo Credit: Utah Jazz Twitter/@utahjazz
Latest posts by Matthew Fitzgerald (see all)
- Los Angeles Dodgers Hope to Overcome Recent Struggles - August 18, 2014
- Los Angeles Dodgers’ recent success puts them in perfect position - August 9, 2014
- Los Angeles Dodgers quiet as trade deadline passes - August 4, 2014