- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Missed tackles, timely penalties cost Bolts
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Bolts beat themselves, lose 23-20
- Percy Harvin trade showcases the bureaucracy of sports
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report
- Chargers news: Branden Oliver is just what the Bolts needed
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador
- Chargers secondary flying under the radar
- Sharks finally finish Kings in season opener, 4-0
- Lakers training camp 2014: Has Wesley Johnson found his niche?
- NFL Quotes Roundup, Week 5: Reggie Wayne acknowledges age, RGIII makes progress
Sacramento Kings Find Summer League Success
- Updated: July 14, 2014
Nik Stauskas has been an integral part of the Sacramento Kings earning a 2-1 record through the first round of the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas. He closed out the round with a 15-point day in a 89-75 defeat of the D-League Select, to bring him to a 13-point average over three games.
Stauskas got a great deal of support from the rest of the team during the come-from-behind victory that saw the D-League Select squander a 15-point first quarter lead to lose by 14. The Kings draft pick showed promise in his ability to come through and bring offensive ability when needed. If his early play is any indication, he will have a good opportunity to get quality playing time come the regular season.
The Kings also had great performances form young players Ben McLemore and Quicy Acy who brought in 18 and 14 points respectively. McLemore closed the first round out with 40 overall points, while Acy finished with 38 to be the first and third-highest scoring players on the team.
At this stage, the Kings seem to be building up momentum as they look to get a high seed and go far into the tournament when it starts on day six. The biggest issue that the team may face is if they find themselves behind like they did against the D-League, and they may not find it quite as easy to recover.
The team has definitely shown they can compete against some tougher competition and overcome adversity to prove their worth. They also should be able to capitalize on the talent they brought into the Summer League, and the NBA experience they have could be a great asset.
While they are by no means the favorites to win the tournament, they could certainly be a key player throughout the later rounds.
Photo Credit: Kings.com
Latest posts by Matthew Fitzgerald (see all)
- Los Angeles Dodgers Hope to Overcome Recent Struggles - August 18, 2014
- Los Angeles Dodgers’ recent success puts them in perfect position - August 9, 2014
- Los Angeles Dodgers quiet as trade deadline passes - August 4, 2014