- Oakland Athletics ace Scott Kazmir headed to Houston
- Antonio Gates suspension: A look at Chargers tight ends who must step up
- Angels midseason grades: Turmoil overshadows reasonable start
- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency
- Matt Kemp hitting leadoff as Padres shake things up vs. Giants
- Padres promote Pat Murphy for remainder of the season
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons
- 3 takeaways from Seattle Seahawks OTAs
- Stephen Curry goes cold as Warriors fall to Cavs in OT, 95-93
Lakers News: Julius Randle does not require foot surgery
- Updated: July 2, 2014
The Los Angeles Lakers received encouraging news on Wednesday afternoon as the results to Julius Randle‘s foot examination confirmed that he will not require surgery on his right foot, according to Mike Bresnahan of the LA Times.
Lakers draft pick Julius Randle does not need surgery on his right foot, foot specialists have determined. He has been cleared to play.
— Mike Bresnahan (@Mike_Bresnahan) July 3, 2014
Los Angeles had flown Randle out to Indiana to see a foot specialist as a precautionary measure to get further clarification on the condition of his foot moving forward. They had already conducted several physicals with two team doctors and there were no issues that arose in the procedures. All of this stems from questions over the 19-year-old’s right foot because multiple reports had stated that a screw, which was placed in his foot to repair a broken fifth metatarsal that he suffered in his senior year in high school may need to be replaced.
With Randle receiving medical clearance on Wednesday, it further cements the reasoning behind Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak and the 2014 SEC Freshman of the Year’s confidence in the situation. Kupchak had pointed to the fact that Randle was able to play in all 40 games last season, and performed at a high level with his 15.0 points and 10.4 rebounds per game averages. This also included recording 24 double-doubles, which were second-most by a freshman behind Michael Beasley in Division I history.
The seventh overall pick in the 2014 NBA Draft is now one step closer to playing in the summer league that begins on July 11. The only hurdle that he must clear now is his contract with the team that will likely be in the range of $3 million annually, which is something that Kupchak does not see as an issue getting done in time for the start of the summer league.
“We’re not talking about a significant amount of money and cap space,” Kupchak said. “At this point, it’s not really a factor.”
If he is able to get a contract in place on time, he will be joining notable names such as Kendall Marshall, who started most of last season for Los Angeles, former Dallas Mavericks guard Rodrigue Beaubois, two undrafted players in former Iowa State guard DeAndre Kane and former Ohio State forward LaQuinton Ross, and the team’s 46th overall selection in this year’s draft in former Missouri guard Jordan Clarkson.
Photo Credit: Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports
More breaking sports news on Twitter: Follow @SOWSports
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Byron Scott says Kobe Bryant could play in the post - July 29, 2015
- Mike Trout injury: MRI reveals no structural damage to wrist - July 29, 2015
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino, David Murphy, and David DeJesus - July 29, 2015