- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
- Sacramento Kings unveil new 2014 home, away jerseys
- NFL Training Camp 2014: Chargers season preview
- Raiders training camp 2014: Darren McFadden unfazed by demotion
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy
- Outdoor game between Sharks and Kings leaked
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71
- UCLA to replace waterlogged court at Pauley Pavilion
Lakers news: Kurt Rambis interviews for head coach vacancy
- Updated: May 28, 2014
Rambis is currently under contract with Los Angeles as an assistant coach brought on the staff by Mike D’Antoni before the start of last season. The 56-year-old has had a long bill of coaching history with the team as he spent 12 total seasons on the sidelines with a bulk of it alongside former Lakers’ head coach Phil Jackson.
Rambis did have a stint as an interim coach for Los Angeles after Del Harris was fired midway through the 1998-99 season, as he went 24-13 for the remainder of that year. He also spent two seasons as the head coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves, where he had a combined 32-132 record over that span. As a player, he won four NBA titles in nine seasons with the Lakers (1981-88, 1993-95).
With Rambis now interviewed for the head coach vacancy, that makes five confirmed candidates so far for the job with Byron Scott, Mike Dunleavy Sr., Lionel Hollins, and Alvin Gentry who is expected to discuss the position with the team sometime this week.
Although the Lakers have already held a handful of interviews, the list is expected to get longer as the team may extend its search into the free agency period that begins in July. General manager Mitch Kupchak has stated on several occasions that there is no sense in urgency to find the team’s next head coach.
Photo Credit: Minnesota Star Tribune
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Lakers ranked 1st by ESPN as team with most turmoil in 2014-15 - August 20, 2014
- Byron Scott begins to shape coaching staff - August 20, 2014
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 33: Clippers officially sold to Steve Ballmer, Tiger Woods withdraws from Ryder Cup - August 18, 2014