- Lou Holtz retires: Hopefully shows shift at ESPN
- Anquan Boldin on Colin Kaepernick: ‘Trust your skills’
- NFL trade rumors: Titans Willing to trade No.2 Pick?
- Nick Young injury: Lakers forward likely done for season
- Metta World Peace expressed interest in St. John’s head coaching job
- Darren Sharper settles multiple rape charges with plea deal
- NFL free agency 2015: Are there any targets left for the Seattle Seahawks?
- Michael Crabtree visits Dolphins amid shrinking market
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 100-98 loss to Rockets
Lakers news: Kurt Rambis interviews for head coach vacancy
- Updated: May 28, 2014
Rambis is currently under contract with Los Angeles as an assistant coach brought on the staff by Mike D’Antoni before the start of last season. The 56-year-old has had a long bill of coaching history with the team as he spent 12 total seasons on the sidelines with a bulk of it alongside former Lakers’ head coach Phil Jackson.
Rambis did have a stint as an interim coach for Los Angeles after Del Harris was fired midway through the 1998-99 season, as he went 24-13 for the remainder of that year. He also spent two seasons as the head coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves, where he had a combined 32-132 record over that span. As a player, he won four NBA titles in nine seasons with the Lakers (1981-88, 1993-95).
With Rambis now interviewed for the head coach vacancy, that makes five confirmed candidates so far for the job with Byron Scott, Mike Dunleavy Sr., Lionel Hollins, and Alvin Gentry who is expected to discuss the position with the team sometime this week.
Although the Lakers have already held a handful of interviews, the list is expected to get longer as the team may extend its search into the free agency period that begins in July. General manager Mitch Kupchak has stated on several occasions that there is no sense in urgency to find the team’s next head coach.
Photo Credit: Minnesota Star Tribune
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 16: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has surgery, Raiders sign Michael Crabtree - April 20, 2015
- Lakers set to embarking on crucial offseason - April 19, 2015
- Lakers’ 2014-15 season exit interviews - April 16, 2015