- Northern Trust Open 2015: James Hahn is the people’s champ
- NFL Combine 2015: Top 5 Winners and Losers
- Lakers news: Julius Randle expected to play NBA Summer League
- NFL Scouting Combine: Marcus Mariota tops QBs with 4.52 40-yard dash
- Doc Rivers still recruiting Kendrick Perkins ‘hard,’ per report
- Brett Hundley impresses at NFL Combine with 4.63 40
- San Diego mayor on Chargers-Raiders proposal: ‘That’s not how you do business’
- Chargers, Raiders move forward with Los Angeles stadium proposal
- Seahawks GM seeks Marshawn Lynch contract resolution
- Oregon, head coach Mark Helfrich agree to 5-year, $17.5M extension
Lakers news: Kurt Rambis interviews for head coach vacancy
- Updated: May 28, 2014
Rambis is currently under contract with Los Angeles as an assistant coach brought on the staff by Mike D’Antoni before the start of last season. The 56-year-old has had a long bill of coaching history with the team as he spent 12 total seasons on the sidelines with a bulk of it alongside former Lakers’ head coach Phil Jackson.
Rambis did have a stint as an interim coach for Los Angeles after Del Harris was fired midway through the 1998-99 season, as he went 24-13 for the remainder of that year. He also spent two seasons as the head coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves, where he had a combined 32-132 record over that span. As a player, he won four NBA titles in nine seasons with the Lakers (1981-88, 1993-95).
With Rambis now interviewed for the head coach vacancy, that makes five confirmed candidates so far for the job with Byron Scott, Mike Dunleavy Sr., Lionel Hollins, and Alvin Gentry who is expected to discuss the position with the team sometime this week.
Although the Lakers have already held a handful of interviews, the list is expected to get longer as the team may extend its search into the free agency period that begins in July. General manager Mitch Kupchak has stated on several occasions that there is no sense in urgency to find the team’s next head coach.
Photo Credit: Minnesota Star Tribune
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 9: UCLA adds Tom Bradley as new DC, Inglewood passes NFL stadium initiative - March 2, 2015
- Jordan Clarkson continuing to progress in rookie season - March 1, 2015
- 5 things we learned from Lakers’ 101-93 over Bucks - February 28, 2015