- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report
- Byron Scott dismisses talk of Kobe Bryant retirement
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs
- Marshawn Lynch may face discipline for media silence, lewd gesture
- Jack Del Rio says he’s been a ‘Raider his whole life’
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 126-121 loss to Cavaliers
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried?
- Jordan Farmar calls being waived by Clippers ‘mutual’
- Padres to host 2016 MLB All-Star game at Petco Park
- Clippers get Austin Rivers in 3-team trade involving Reggie Bullock
Lakers news: Kurt Rambis interviews for head coach vacancy
- Updated: May 28, 2014
Rambis is currently under contract with Los Angeles as an assistant coach brought on the staff by Mike D’Antoni before the start of last season. The 56-year-old has had a long bill of coaching history with the team as he spent 12 total seasons on the sidelines with a bulk of it alongside former Lakers’ head coach Phil Jackson.
Rambis did have a stint as an interim coach for Los Angeles after Del Harris was fired midway through the 1998-99 season, as he went 24-13 for the remainder of that year. He also spent two seasons as the head coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves, where he had a combined 32-132 record over that span. As a player, he won four NBA titles in nine seasons with the Lakers (1981-88, 1993-95).
With Rambis now interviewed for the head coach vacancy, that makes five confirmed candidates so far for the job with Byron Scott, Mike Dunleavy Sr., Lionel Hollins, and Alvin Gentry who is expected to discuss the position with the team sometime this week.
Although the Lakers have already held a handful of interviews, the list is expected to get longer as the team may extend its search into the free agency period that begins in July. General manager Mitch Kupchak has stated on several occasions that there is no sense in urgency to find the team’s next head coach.
Photo Credit: Minnesota Star Tribune
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak expects Kobe Bryant to return next season - January 30, 2015
- Pau Gasol gets standing ovation in return to Los Angeles - January 30, 2015
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 4: Kobe Bryant expected to miss rest of season, Team Irvin wins Pro Bowl - January 26, 2015