- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
- Seattle Seahawks jerseys top NFLshop.com sales
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres
- NBA Summer League 2014: Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson lead Lakers past Nuggets, 83-77
- Joe Torre on Hall of Fame: ‘Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity’
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million
Lakers news: Alvin Gentry to interview for head coaching job
- Updated: May 27, 2014
The Los Angeles Lakers’ head coach search is now in its second week, and their next candidate to interview is expected to be current Los Angeles Clippers assistant coach Alvin Gentry, according to Jame Herbert of CBSSports.com.
Prior to his job with the Clippers, Gentry had a four-season stint as the head coach with the Phoenix Suns that included one playoff appearance that resulted in a trip to the Western Conference Finals where they lost in six games to the Lakers. Gentry was an assistant coach on Mike D’Antoni‘s staff before being named the official head coach of the Suns for the 2009-10 regular season. He was later fired midway through the 2012-13 season.
Gentry was also a head coach for three seasons each with the Clippers and Detroit Pistons by the early 2000s. Along with the Lakers, he has been linked to the head coach vacancy with the Cleveland Cavaliers and Utah Jazz. He is expected to meet with the Cavaliers on Friday and met the Jazz last week.
The Golden State Warriors and Sacramento Kings also have been rumored to have interest in Gentry but as a lead assistant for their respective teams.
As for Los Angeles, the 59-year-old is the fourth person that will be interviewed in their head coach search so far, as the team has already spoken to Mike Dunleavy Sr., Byron Scott, and Lionel Hollins this past week. The Lakers are expected to take at least a couple more weeks before naming a head coach as team general manager Mitch Kupchak stated last week that they are no rush to make a hire.
Photo Credit: Getty Images)
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Jeremy Lin aiming to create a new legacy with Lakers - July 24, 2014
- Blazers news: Rip City jerseys will have sleeves in 2014-15 - July 24, 2014
- Blazers news: Thomas Robinson has thumb surgery - July 23, 2014