- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report
- Byron Scott dismisses talk of Kobe Bryant retirement
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs
- Marshawn Lynch may face discipline for media silence, lewd gesture
- Jack Del Rio says he’s been a ‘Raider his whole life’
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 126-121 loss to Cavaliers
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried?
- Jordan Farmar calls being waived by Clippers ‘mutual’
- Padres to host 2016 MLB All-Star game at Petco Park
- Clippers get Austin Rivers in 3-team trade involving Reggie Bullock
Malcom Floyd expected to play in 2014
- Updated: May 19, 2014
You may have watched it. You may have heard about it.
First play in the third quarter. Quarterback Philip Rivers drops back and looks straight down the field. Rivers throws it over the middle to Floyd. He catches and boom. He’s down and he can’t get up.
The instant replay cues up and shows Floyd’s colliding in between Eagles DeMeco Ryans and Nate Allen. His head is pushed back towards his spine. His neck looks like an accordion being compressed. Floyd is then carted off the field and taken to a nearby hospital.
He was placed on injured reserve for the remainder of the season. His health and status have been monitored all year.
According to Michael Gehlken of the U-T San Diego,
“Last week, he met with Dr. Robert Watkins. Floyd is expected to play in 2014, team and league sources said.”
With “M80″ back, this means the Chargers will have more depth to their wide receiver corps, and another threat opposite of Keenan Allen this coming season.
“The doc said… I’m at risk just like anybody else,” Floyd said Monday. “There’s not really a worry. As far as going out there and performing, I’m really excited to make plays again. Hopefully, I can do more this year than I ever have. I’m feeling good. I think I feel like my old self.”
“I’m really taking advantage of the time I have with my teammates. I’m getting older, too. I’m probably going to finish out this contract, and then that’s it. I’m really taking this time seriously and just trying to enjoy it while I can. For a moment there, I didn’t know what was going on, if I was going to come back or not.”
Floyd has two seasons left with the Chargers after he signed a three-year contract extension in 2012.
Photo by Patrick Smith, Getty Images Sport.
Latest posts by Laramee Bishop (see all)
- Chargers offensive line looking to improve - August 11, 2014
- Antonio Gates, Ladarius Green have ‘tight’ relationship - August 4, 2014
- Can the Padres still compete in 2014? - August 2, 2014