- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report
- Byron Scott dismisses talk of Kobe Bryant retirement
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs
- Marshawn Lynch may face discipline for media silence, lewd gesture
- Jack Del Rio says he’s been a ‘Raider his whole life’
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 126-121 loss to Cavaliers
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried?
- Jordan Farmar calls being waived by Clippers ‘mutual’
- Padres to host 2016 MLB All-Star game at Petco Park
- Clippers get Austin Rivers in 3-team trade involving Reggie Bullock
Derek Fisher targeted by Phil Jackson, Knicks per report
- Updated: May 19, 2014
Oklahoma City Thunder guard Derek Fisher is being recruited to join the head coaching ranks before he even steps off an NBA court for good as a player.
According to ESPN.com, Fisher is the primary target for the New York Knicks and Phil Jackson, who joined the organization to oversee basketball operations in March.
The former Los Angeles Lakers champion was a key part of Jackson’s last five NBA titles as a coach as the team’s point guard. As a de facto coach on the floor, Fisher could be well-suited to roam the sidelines and call the shots as soon as he decides to retire.
Thunder head coach Scott Brooks has indicated his veteran could still play another season, and Fisher himself has been quiet about his future plans as he focuses on helping Oklahoma City hoist the Larry O’Brien Trophy come June.
Jackson has been clear in the past that Fisher is a proven leader in his eyes. In the Lakers’ heyday, he said as much via Mike Bresnehan of the Los Angeles Times:
“He’s definitely the spokesman for this team as far as leadership goes.”
Those sentiments have seemingly remained at the forefront of Jackson’s mind when it comes to eyeing talent for the next head coach in New York. Lakers legend Kobe Bryant has echoed the same thought on several occasions throughout he and Fishers time as teammates and beyond.
At this point, much like Steve Kerr, Fisher seems like the type of candidate who will have his choice of NBA jobs if and when he chooses.
Photo Credit: Luis Sinco / Los Angeles Times
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report - January 20, 2015
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs - January 19, 2015
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried? - January 16, 2015