- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
- Sacramento Kings unveil new 2014 home, away jerseys
- NFL Training Camp 2014: Chargers season preview
- Raiders training camp 2014: Darren McFadden unfazed by demotion
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy
- Outdoor game between Sharks and Kings leaked
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71
Lakers rumors: Mike Dunleavy a candidate for head coach job
- Updated: May 18, 2014
Dunleavy coached the Lakers from 1990-1992 to begin his 17-year NBA career on the sidelines that included stints with the Milwaukee Bucks, Portland Trail Blazers and Los Angeles Clippers.
After meeting with Phil Jackson to discuss the possibility of coaching the New York Knicks, Dunleavy may have offers for other vacancies if he so chooses to re-join the coaching ranks. He has a friendly relationship with the Zen Master as former players from the same era and share the bond of being in the de facto coaching fraternity.
Mike D’Antoni resigned after the Lakers’ suffered through their worst season in franchise history after going 27-55.
Dunleavy is an intriguing candidate because he’s one of few implementers of the triangle offense, which Jackson used to coach the Lakers to five NBA championships during his tenure in Southern California. After he left, the Lakers made an apparent effort to distance themselves from his schemes, instead going with Mike Brown and subsequently D’Antoni.
Brian Shaw, who now coaches the Denver Nuggets, would have been the most fluid progression after Jackson left, but the late Dr. Jerry Buss and general manager Mitch Kupchak decided against promoting from within.
While Dunleavy would be a capable coach who could earn players’ respect, it’s difficult to see Los Angeles deciding to hire him because it would be a return to the very philosophy they worked to move away from.
Photo by Harry How/Getty Images
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report - August 31, 2014
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy - August 4, 2014
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71 - August 2, 2014