- Adam Silver says NBA players don’t tank
- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
Jeff Francoeur comeback: Ex-outfielder begins return as pitcher with Padres
- Updated: May 18, 2014
After a nine-year major league career as a position player, former outfielder Jeff Francoeur is beginning a comeback attempt with the San Diego Padres’ organization.
On Friday, the veteran posted four shutout outings before surrendering a three-run home run in the fifth inning on Friday night for the Friars’ Triple-A affiliate El Paso Chihuahuas.
The transition makes sense since during his days roaming the outfield, the veteran was known for having a cannon for an arm. On the mound, he’s had to learn how to control his natural athleticism, which helped him reach 119 outfield assists and rank second among active players.
One of the reasons he made the transition was his struggle to find consistency at the plate. After joining the San Francisco Giants in July, he finished with a .194 average with zero home runs and four RBIs in 22 games.
He won a Gold Glove award in 2007 for his exploits in the field and has always been a sometimes-reckless swinger of the bat. He did, however, hit the first home run in Chihuahuas history on April 3, 2014.
Photo by Al Messerschmidt/Getty Images
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Adam Silver says NBA players don’t tank - December 20, 2014
- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks - December 12, 2014
- VIDEO: Russell Wilson makes Fletcher Cox look silly on quarterback scramble - December 7, 2014