- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report
- Byron Scott dismisses talk of Kobe Bryant retirement
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs
- Marshawn Lynch may face discipline for media silence, lewd gesture
- Jack Del Rio says he’s been a ‘Raider his whole life’
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 126-121 loss to Cavaliers
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried?
- Jordan Farmar calls being waived by Clippers ‘mutual’
- Padres to host 2016 MLB All-Star game at Petco Park
- Clippers get Austin Rivers in 3-team trade involving Reggie Bullock
Jeff Francoeur comeback: Ex-outfielder begins return as pitcher with Padres
- Updated: May 18, 2014
After a nine-year major league career as a position player, former outfielder Jeff Francoeur is beginning a comeback attempt with the San Diego Padres’ organization.
On Friday, the veteran posted four shutout outings before surrendering a three-run home run in the fifth inning on Friday night for the Friars’ Triple-A affiliate El Paso Chihuahuas.
The transition makes sense since during his days roaming the outfield, the veteran was known for having a cannon for an arm. On the mound, he’s had to learn how to control his natural athleticism, which helped him reach 119 outfield assists and rank second among active players.
One of the reasons he made the transition was his struggle to find consistency at the plate. After joining the San Francisco Giants in July, he finished with a .194 average with zero home runs and four RBIs in 22 games.
He won a Gold Glove award in 2007 for his exploits in the field and has always been a sometimes-reckless swinger of the bat. He did, however, hit the first home run in Chihuahuas history on April 3, 2014.
Photo by Al Messerschmidt/Getty Images
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report - January 20, 2015
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs - January 19, 2015
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried? - January 16, 2015