- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Missed tackles, timely penalties cost Bolts
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Bolts beat themselves, lose 23-20
- Percy Harvin trade showcases the bureaucracy of sports
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report
- Chargers news: Branden Oliver is just what the Bolts needed
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador
- Chargers secondary flying under the radar
- Sharks finally finish Kings in season opener, 4-0
- Lakers training camp 2014: Has Wesley Johnson found his niche?
- NFL Quotes Roundup, Week 5: Reggie Wayne acknowledges age, RGIII makes progress
Jeff Francoeur comeback: Ex-outfielder begins return as pitcher with Padres
- Updated: May 18, 2014
After a nine-year major league career as a position player, former outfielder Jeff Francoeur is beginning a comeback attempt with the San Diego Padres’ organization.
On Friday, the veteran posted four shutout outings before surrendering a three-run home run in the fifth inning on Friday night for the Friars’ Triple-A affiliate El Paso Chihuahuas.
The transition makes sense since during his days roaming the outfield, the veteran was known for having a cannon for an arm. On the mound, he’s had to learn how to control his natural athleticism, which helped him reach 119 outfield assists and rank second among active players.
One of the reasons he made the transition was his struggle to find consistency at the plate. After joining the San Francisco Giants in July, he finished with a .194 average with zero home runs and four RBIs in 22 games.
He won a Gold Glove award in 2007 for his exploits in the field and has always been a sometimes-reckless swinger of the bat. He did, however, hit the first home run in Chihuahuas history on April 3, 2014.
Photo by Al Messerschmidt/Getty Images
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report - October 17, 2014
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador - October 11, 2014
- Padres fall to Rockies, 3-2 despite testing Jorge De La Rosa - September 23, 2014