- Boise State denies that Sam Ukwuachu’s 2013 dismissal was because of allegations of abuse
- Russell Wilson says he didn’t suffer a concussion in NFC Championship game
- Josh Rosen beats out Jerry Neuheisel as UCLA starting quarterback
- Jered Weaver says dugout outburst not aimed at Mike Trout
- Chargers news: Chris Watt should be getting more attention than D.J. Fluker
- Connor Halliday ready to restart professional football career
- Raiders, Taylor Mays officially agree to contract terms
- NaVorro Bowman brings needed lift to 49ers
- Kenny Stabler named Pro Football Hall of Fame senior finalist
- Sounders FC score 2 late goals against CD Olimpia in CONCACAF Champions League
Jeff Francoeur comeback: Ex-outfielder begins return as pitcher with Padres
- Updated: May 18, 2014
After a nine-year major league career as a position player, former outfielder Jeff Francoeur is beginning a comeback attempt with the San Diego Padres’ organization.
On Friday, the veteran posted four shutout outings before surrendering a three-run home run in the fifth inning on Friday night for the Friars’ Triple-A affiliate El Paso Chihuahuas.
The transition makes sense since during his days roaming the outfield, the veteran was known for having a cannon for an arm. On the mound, he’s had to learn how to control his natural athleticism, which helped him reach 119 outfield assists and rank second among active players.
One of the reasons he made the transition was his struggle to find consistency at the plate. After joining the San Francisco Giants in July, he finished with a .194 average with zero home runs and four RBIs in 22 games.
He won a Gold Glove award in 2007 for his exploits in the field and has always been a sometimes-reckless swinger of the bat. He did, however, hit the first home run in Chihuahuas history on April 3, 2014.
Photo by Al Messerschmidt/Getty Images
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Russell Wilson says he didn’t suffer a concussion in NFC Championship game - August 27, 2015
- Josh Rosen beats out Jerry Neuheisel as UCLA starting quarterback - August 27, 2015
- Blue Jays vs. Angels: East vs. West in potential October showdown - August 21, 2015