- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency
- Matt Kemp hitting leadoff as Padres shake things up vs. Giants
- Padres promote Pat Murphy for remainder of the season
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons
- 3 takeaways from Seattle Seahawks OTAs
- Stephen Curry goes cold as Warriors fall to Cavs in OT, 95-93
- San Diego State, USD agree to basketball game at Petco Park, add four years to contract
- LeBron James’ 44 not enough as Warriors top Cavs in OT, 108-100
- Padres top Mets, 7-2, as Yonder Alonso returns in style
49ers pick up fifth-year option on Aldon Smith’s contract
- Updated: May 2, 2014
Despite a laundry list of incidents, the San Francisco 49ers have decided that Aldon Smith is worth the trouble for at least another additional season.
The team has picked up the fifth-year option on Smith’s contract and will pay the troubled linebacker $9.75 million in 2015 if he is still on the roster.
Smith has been one of the most prolific pass rushers in the NFL since he entered the league in 2011, registering 42.0 sacks in 43 games. Despite his success on the field, Smith has struggled to stay out of trouble off of it. He has been arrested multiple times for incidents stemming from gun charges, to driving under the influence, to making a false bomb report at an airport.
The question now is whether or not Smith is worth the risk. Though his production has warranted the 49ers’ patience on this, it’s still a wonder how much longer the team will be willing to put up with this type of headache.
Photo: Getty Images
Latest posts by Al Sacco (see all)
- Outside linebacker still a strength for 49ers - June 26, 2015
- Did Vernon Davis’ comments allude to a bigger issue? - June 19, 2015
- Can the 49ers’ passing game finally break out? - June 12, 2015