- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report
- Byron Scott dismisses talk of Kobe Bryant retirement
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs
- Marshawn Lynch may face discipline for media silence, lewd gesture
- Jack Del Rio says he’s been a ‘Raider his whole life’
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 126-121 loss to Cavaliers
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried?
- Jordan Farmar calls being waived by Clippers ‘mutual’
- Padres to host 2016 MLB All-Star game at Petco Park
- Clippers get Austin Rivers in 3-team trade involving Reggie Bullock
49ers pick up fifth-year option on Aldon Smith’s contract
- Updated: May 2, 2014
Despite a laundry list of incidents, the San Francisco 49ers have decided that Aldon Smith is worth the trouble for at least another additional season.
The team has picked up the fifth-year option on Smith’s contract and will pay the troubled linebacker $9.75 million in 2015 if he is still on the roster.
Smith has been one of the most prolific pass rushers in the NFL since he entered the league in 2011, registering 42.0 sacks in 43 games. Despite his success on the field, Smith has struggled to stay out of trouble off of it. He has been arrested multiple times for incidents stemming from gun charges, to driving under the influence, to making a false bomb report at an airport.
The question now is whether or not Smith is worth the risk. Though his production has warranted the 49ers’ patience on this, it’s still a wonder how much longer the team will be willing to put up with this type of headache.
Photo: Getty Images
Latest posts by Al Sacco (see all)
- What do Kurt Warner’s comments say about Jim Harbaugh? - January 30, 2015
- Is Jim Tomsula just Jed York’s puppet? - January 15, 2015
- 49ers’ decision to pursue Adam Gase as head coach is misguided - January 13, 2015