- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
- Seattle Seahawks jerseys top NFLshop.com sales
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres
- NBA Summer League 2014: Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson lead Lakers past Nuggets, 83-77
- Joe Torre on Hall of Fame: ‘Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity’
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million
49ers pick up fifth-year option on Aldon Smith’s contract
- Updated: May 2, 2014
Despite a laundry list of incidents, the San Francisco 49ers have decided that Aldon Smith is worth the trouble for at least another additional season.
The team has picked up the fifth-year option on Smith’s contract and will pay the troubled linebacker $9.75 million in 2015 if he is still on the roster.
Smith has been one of the most prolific pass rushers in the NFL since he entered the league in 2011, registering 42.0 sacks in 43 games. Despite his success on the field, Smith has struggled to stay out of trouble off of it. He has been arrested multiple times for incidents stemming from gun charges, to driving under the influence, to making a false bomb report at an airport.
The question now is whether or not Smith is worth the risk. Though his production has warranted the 49ers’ patience on this, it’s still a wonder how much longer the team will be willing to put up with this type of headache.
Photo: Getty Images
Latest posts by Al Sacco (see all)
- Vernon Davis reports to training camp on time - July 23, 2014
- 49ers training camp preview: 5 stories to watch - July 23, 2014
- Joe Torre on Hall of Fame: ‘Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity’ - July 18, 2014