LOS ANGELES– In a unexpected twist of events, Mike D’Antoni on Wednesday afternoon resigned from his position as the head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers.
D’Antoni’s decision to step down came after the Lakers decided against exercising the 62-year-old’s option for the 2015-16 season, which is the fourth year of his contract.
The former NBA Coach of the Year signed with the Lakers in November of 2012. He had pressed Los Angeles last week to pick up the $4 million option in order to have some sort of job security during next season.
“Given the circumstances, I don’t know that anybody could have done a better job than Mike did the past two seasons,” said Mitch Kupchak in a team press release. “On behalf of the Lakers, we thank Mike for the work ethic, professionalism and positive attitude that he brought to the team every day. We wish him the best of luck.”
In his two seasons with the team, D’Antoni accumulated a 67-87 record with one postseason appearance in his first year with the team. In the 2013-14 season, the Lakers under D’Antoni had a franchise worst regular season record of 27-55 (.389). This also included franchise-worst losses to the San Antonio Spurs and a 48-point defeat at the hand of the Los Angeles Clippers.
With D’Antoni no longer at the realm, the Lakers are expected to immediately begin their search for the team’s next head coach.
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- 2016 Lakers Media Day Slideshow - September 26, 2016
- Lakers re-sign Metta World Peace, add Thomas Robinson - September 21, 2016
- Lakers’ Luke Walton says Brandon Ingram won’t start to begin season - September 19, 2016