- Lou Holtz retires: Hopefully shows shift at ESPN
- Anquan Boldin on Colin Kaepernick: ‘Trust your skills’
- NFL trade rumors: Titans Willing to trade No.2 Pick?
- Nick Young injury: Lakers forward likely done for season
- Metta World Peace expressed interest in St. John’s head coaching job
- Darren Sharper settles multiple rape charges with plea deal
- NFL free agency 2015: Are there any targets left for the Seattle Seahawks?
- Michael Crabtree visits Dolphins amid shrinking market
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 100-98 loss to Rockets
Mike D’Antoni resigns as Lakers head coach
- Updated: April 30, 2014
LOS ANGELES– In a unexpected twist of events, Mike D’Antoni on Wednesday afternoon resigned from his position as the head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers.
D’Antoni’s decision to step down came after the Lakers decided against exercising the 62-year-old’s option for the 2015-16 season, which is the fourth year of his contract.
The former NBA Coach of the Year signed with the Lakers in November of 2012. He had pressed Los Angeles last week to pick up the $4 million option in order to have some sort of job security during next season.
“Given the circumstances, I don’t know that anybody could have done a better job than Mike did the past two seasons,” said Mitch Kupchak in a team press release. “On behalf of the Lakers, we thank Mike for the work ethic, professionalism and positive attitude that he brought to the team every day. We wish him the best of luck.”
In his two seasons with the team, D’Antoni accumulated a 67-87 record with one postseason appearance in his first year with the team. In the 2013-14 season, the Lakers under D’Antoni had a franchise worst regular season record of 27-55 (.389). This also included franchise-worst losses to the San Antonio Spurs and a 48-point defeat at the hand of the Los Angeles Clippers.
With D’Antoni no longer at the realm, the Lakers are expected to immediately begin their search for the team’s next head coach.
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 16: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has surgery, Raiders sign Michael Crabtree - April 20, 2015
- Lakers set to embarking on crucial offseason - April 19, 2015
- Lakers’ 2014-15 season exit interviews - April 16, 2015