- Angels midseason grades: Turmoil overshadows reasonable start
- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency
- Matt Kemp hitting leadoff as Padres shake things up vs. Giants
- Padres promote Pat Murphy for remainder of the season
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons
- 3 takeaways from Seattle Seahawks OTAs
- Stephen Curry goes cold as Warriors fall to Cavs in OT, 95-93
- San Diego State, USD agree to basketball game at Petco Park, add four years to contract
- LeBron James’ 44 not enough as Warriors top Cavs in OT, 108-100
Los Angeles Clippers guard Jamal Crawford Reportedly Wins NBA’s Sixth Man of the Year Award
- Updated: April 30, 2014
When Chris Paul was asked earlier in April whether or not he thought Jamal Crawford was the league’s sixth man of the year, the seven-time all-star responded responded, “no question.” ESPN reported Wednesday afternoon that Crawford will be receiving his second Sixth Man of the Year award, making him just the fourth player in NBA history to win the award twice.
Crawford, who came off the bench for 45 games during the regular season, averaged 18.6 points per game this season. It is the highest scoring average for a sixth man since Crawford’s 18 during the 2009-2010 season with the Atlanta Hawks. Crawford averaged 20.6 points per game in the 23 games he started for the Clippers.
He was initially set to receive the award prior to game five against the Golden State Warriors, but the ceremony was intentionally delayed due to the Donald Sterling fiasco.
Other two-time NBA Sixth Man winners are Detlef Schrempf (1990-91, 1991-92), Ricky Pierce (1986-87, 1989-90) and Kevin McHale (1983-84, 1984-85). Since the award was introduced during the 1982-1983 season, only four award recipients have gone on to win a championship the same year. Crawford knows he must take his game to the next level in the NBA Playoffs to join the likes of Bobby Jones, Kevin McHale, Bill Walton and Toni Kukoc as the key bench player on a title team.
Photo Credit: Bruce Bennett/Getty Images
Latest posts by Rohit Ghosh (see all)
- LA Galaxy defeat Toronto FC 4-0, Robbie Keane impresses with hat trick - July 4, 2015
- LA Galaxy dominate Philadelphia Union in 5-1 victory - June 20, 2015
- Los Angeles Galaxy get back on track with 1-0 win over Houston Dynamo - May 22, 2015