- Chargers will go as far as Philip Rivers, veterans will take them
- Chargers vs. Seahawks: 3 things we learned in the Bolts’ 30-21 win
- NFL season 2014: Top 5 surprises of Week 2
- NFL mishandles Ray Rice situation
- Chargers vs. Cardinals, NFL Week 1 preview: Bolts have early road test on MNF stage
- Eric Weddle on 2014 Chargers: ‘We can beat anybody’
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
Los Angeles Clippers guard Jamal Crawford Reportedly Wins NBA’s Sixth Man of the Year Award
- Updated: April 30, 2014
When Chris Paul was asked earlier in April whether or not he thought Jamal Crawford was the league’s sixth man of the year, the seven-time all-star responded responded, “no question.” ESPN reported Wednesday afternoon that Crawford will be receiving his second Sixth Man of the Year award, making him just the fourth player in NBA history to win the award twice.
Crawford, who came off the bench for 45 games during the regular season, averaged 18.6 points per game this season. It is the highest scoring average for a sixth man since Crawford’s 18 during the 2009-2010 season with the Atlanta Hawks. Crawford averaged 20.6 points per game in the 23 games he started for the Clippers.
He was initially set to receive the award prior to game five against the Golden State Warriors, but the ceremony was intentionally delayed due to the Donald Sterling fiasco.
Other two-time NBA Sixth Man winners are Detlef Schrempf (1990-91, 1991-92), Ricky Pierce (1986-87, 1989-90) and Kevin McHale (1983-84, 1984-85). Since the award was introduced during the 1982-1983 season, only four award recipients have gone on to win a championship the same year. Crawford knows he must take his game to the next level in the NBA Playoffs to join the likes of Bobby Jones, Kevin McHale, Bill Walton and Toni Kukoc as the key bench player on a title team.
Photo Credit: Bruce Bennett/Getty Images
Latest posts by Rohit Ghosh (see all)
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley, acquire Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica - August 26, 2014
- Blake Griffin on Steve Ballmer intro: ‘I literally had goose bumps’ - August 19, 2014
- Report: Los Angeles Clippers will work out Andrew Bynum, Greg Oden - August 5, 2014