- Chargers vs. Bills, Week 3: Can Bolts build off big win?
- Chargers will go as far as Philip Rivers, veterans will take them
- Chargers vs. Seahawks: 3 things we learned in the Bolts’ 30-21 win
- NFL season 2014: Top 5 surprises of Week 2
- NFL mishandles Ray Rice situation
- Chargers vs. Cardinals, NFL Week 1 preview: Bolts have early road test on MNF stage
- Eric Weddle on 2014 Chargers: ‘We can beat anybody’
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- Updated: April 14, 2014
Los Angeles Lakers guard Nick Young has a glorious history of botched layup attempts.
But in the home finale at Staples Center against the Memphis Grizzlies on Sunday night, he had his shining moment:
The best thing about this drive, spin and finish with the beautiful touch off the glass is that the normally unnecessary improvisation on the layup was actually functional.
When Grizzlies center Marc Gasol flashes into the low post to help, he has the entire right side of the hoop covered with his outstretched arm. Young’s read was as impressive as the finish itself because he anticipated where the big man would be. Next, he poetically avoided him in mid air while having the concentration and coordination to finish.
In addition to the layup, the cut to receive the pass as well as the look from Wesley Johnson were superb and indicative of how in synch they were on the play.
It’s a small victory in a season marred by injuries and blowout losses, but nonetheless was a moment of triumph for Los Angeles.
Just for fun, here’s a look at some of Young’s layup failures over the years, the first one ironically coming against the Lakers in 2012.
AP Photo/Gene Sweeney Jr.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report - August 31, 2014
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy - August 4, 2014
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71 - August 2, 2014