- NFL quote roundup, Week 15: No team in LA for 2015 season
- Adam Silver says NBA players don’t tank
- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- Updated: April 14, 2014
Los Angeles Lakers guard Nick Young has a glorious history of botched layup attempts.
But in the home finale at Staples Center against the Memphis Grizzlies on Sunday night, he had his shining moment:
The best thing about this drive, spin and finish with the beautiful touch off the glass is that the normally unnecessary improvisation on the layup was actually functional.
When Grizzlies center Marc Gasol flashes into the low post to help, he has the entire right side of the hoop covered with his outstretched arm. Young’s read was as impressive as the finish itself because he anticipated where the big man would be. Next, he poetically avoided him in mid air while having the concentration and coordination to finish.
In addition to the layup, the cut to receive the pass as well as the look from Wesley Johnson were superb and indicative of how in synch they were on the play.
It’s a small victory in a season marred by injuries and blowout losses, but nonetheless was a moment of triumph for Los Angeles.
Just for fun, here’s a look at some of Young’s layup failures over the years, the first one ironically coming against the Lakers in 2012.
AP Photo/Gene Sweeney Jr.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Adam Silver says NBA players don’t tank - December 20, 2014
- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks - December 12, 2014
- VIDEO: Russell Wilson makes Fletcher Cox look silly on quarterback scramble - December 7, 2014