- Patrick Peterson ‘having fun’ with Richard Sherman feud
- Raiders training camp 2014: line of scrimmage a focus
- Raiders training camp 2014: Dennis Allen in ‘love’ with his quarterbacks
- NFL training camp 2014: Tony Bergstrom ready to meet expectations
- NFL training camp 2014: Raiders have an admirer in Justin Tuck
- Dwight Freeney, Chargers’ linebackers look to improve pass rush in 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- Updated: April 14, 2014
Los Angeles Lakers guard Nick Young has a glorious history of botched layup attempts.
But in the home finale at Staples Center against the Memphis Grizzlies on Sunday night, he had his shining moment:
The best thing about this drive, spin and finish with the beautiful touch off the glass is that the normally unnecessary improvisation on the layup was actually functional.
When Grizzlies center Marc Gasol flashes into the low post to help, he has the entire right side of the hoop covered with his outstretched arm. Young’s read was as impressive as the finish itself because he anticipated where the big man would be. Next, he poetically avoided him in mid air while having the concentration and coordination to finish.
In addition to the layup, the cut to receive the pass as well as the look from Wesley Johnson were superb and indicative of how in synch they were on the play.
It’s a small victory in a season marred by injuries and blowout losses, but nonetheless was a moment of triumph for Los Angeles.
Just for fun, here’s a look at some of Young’s layup failures over the years, the first one ironically coming against the Lakers in 2012.
AP Photo/Gene Sweeney Jr.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Patrick Peterson ‘having fun’ with Richard Sherman feud - July 31, 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report - July 25, 2014
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres - July 19, 2014