- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
- Sharks close trip with uninspired loss 4-1 loss to Sabres
- Chargers notes: Seyi Ajirotutu fined, Ryan Mathews and Manti Te’O to return after bye
- Clippers’ concerns revolve around defense and rebounding
- Do the 49ers have an identity crisis?
- Marcus Lattimore injury: 49ers running back has bigger issue
- Klay Thompson signs 4-year, $70 million extension with Warriors
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win
VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- Updated: April 14, 2014
Los Angeles Lakers guard Nick Young has a glorious history of botched layup attempts.
But in the home finale at Staples Center against the Memphis Grizzlies on Sunday night, he had his shining moment:
The best thing about this drive, spin and finish with the beautiful touch off the glass is that the normally unnecessary improvisation on the layup was actually functional.
When Grizzlies center Marc Gasol flashes into the low post to help, he has the entire right side of the hoop covered with his outstretched arm. Young’s read was as impressive as the finish itself because he anticipated where the big man would be. Next, he poetically avoided him in mid air while having the concentration and coordination to finish.
In addition to the layup, the cut to receive the pass as well as the look from Wesley Johnson were superb and indicative of how in synch they were on the play.
It’s a small victory in a season marred by injuries and blowout losses, but nonetheless was a moment of triumph for Los Angeles.
Just for fun, here’s a look at some of Young’s layup failures over the years, the first one ironically coming against the Lakers in 2012.
AP Photo/Gene Sweeney Jr.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge - November 21, 2014
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor - November 21, 2014
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win - October 30, 2014