- Northern Trust Open 2015: James Hahn is the people’s champ
- NFL Combine 2015: Top 5 Winners and Losers
- Lakers news: Julius Randle expected to play NBA Summer League
- NFL Scouting Combine: Marcus Mariota tops QBs with 4.52 40-yard dash
- Doc Rivers still recruiting Kendrick Perkins ‘hard,’ per report
- Brett Hundley impresses at NFL Combine with 4.63 40
- San Diego mayor on Chargers-Raiders proposal: ‘That’s not how you do business’
- Chargers, Raiders move forward with Los Angeles stadium proposal
- Seahawks GM seeks Marshawn Lynch contract resolution
- Oregon, head coach Mark Helfrich agree to 5-year, $17.5M extension
VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- Updated: April 14, 2014
Los Angeles Lakers guard Nick Young has a glorious history of botched layup attempts.
But in the home finale at Staples Center against the Memphis Grizzlies on Sunday night, he had his shining moment:
The best thing about this drive, spin and finish with the beautiful touch off the glass is that the normally unnecessary improvisation on the layup was actually functional.
When Grizzlies center Marc Gasol flashes into the low post to help, he has the entire right side of the hoop covered with his outstretched arm. Young’s read was as impressive as the finish itself because he anticipated where the big man would be. Next, he poetically avoided him in mid air while having the concentration and coordination to finish.
In addition to the layup, the cut to receive the pass as well as the look from Wesley Johnson were superb and indicative of how in synch they were on the play.
It’s a small victory in a season marred by injuries and blowout losses, but nonetheless was a moment of triumph for Los Angeles.
Just for fun, here’s a look at some of Young’s layup failures over the years, the first one ironically coming against the Lakers in 2012.
AP Photo/Gene Sweeney Jr.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Northern Trust Open 2015: James Hahn is the people’s champ - February 23, 2015
- Lakers news: Julius Randle expected to play NBA Summer League - February 21, 2015
- NFL Scouting Combine: Marcus Mariota tops QBs with 4.52 40-yard dash - February 21, 2015