- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
Lakers’ Kendall Marshall letting prime opportunity slip away
- Updated: March 30, 2014
With the Los Angeles Lakers’ backcourt experiencing an influx of injuries,it would lead one to think that point guard Kendall Marshall would strive in this prime opportunity.
That is not the case.
Marshall has been the Lakers’ starting point guard for much of the season with Steve Nash missing all but 12 games due to nerve irritation in his left leg and back, and Jordan Farmar out 36 games because of injuries to both hamstring and his right groin. In that role, it has been nothing short than a roller coaster ride for Los Angeles with the second-year guard.
After getting his first start with the team on Jan. 3 against the Utah Jazz, Marshall appeared to be diamond in the rough with his average of 11.9 points and 11.5 assists per game for the month of January.This included recording double digit assist totals in 11 out of the 15 games played, totaling at least six assists in each contest, and having a string of five straight double-doubles from Jan.10-19.
However, the 22-year-old’s level of play dropped off a bit in February as he averaged 7.1 points and 9.0 assists, but he did manage to have impressive back-to-back double-doubles of at least 16 assists recorded.
Although his assists totals remained high, his scoring began to dip in the latter portion of the month as he has had one double digit point output in the last 18 games since Feb. 21. This also entails five contests where he did not score a single point.
His scoring struggles on the court have led head coach Mike D’Antoni to reducing his minutes over the past month as he is averaging 24.8 in March. D’Antoni has instead given more minutes to other players such as Xavier Henry, Kent Bazemore, and even went to bringing back Nash to help shoulder the load in the backcourt despite declaring him out for the remainder of the season earlier in the month.
His struggles came to a head in Friday’s 143-107 blowout loss to the Minnesota Timberwolves as he had 0 points on 0-for-6 shooting with three assists and two turnovers in 15 minutes played.
To put it plain and simple, Marshall has not progressed as a point guard but rather regressed over time with his opportunity to prove that he could be the Lakers’ point guard of the future. He is under contract through the 2014-15 season, but that does necessarily mean that he will have significant playing time because he is on team.
Marshall’s chance to show the team that he deserves more playing time appears to be dwindling down with Farmar likely to return within the next week and Nash continuing to play in games here and there as his health permits him to do so.
The 22-year-old signed with the Lakers in December and showcased for the first month that he had promising potential, now he must start displaying some improvement by getting out of his offensive slump because the clock is ticking on the season and likely on his opportunity to play in a significant role in the team’s future plan.
Photo Credit: Andrew Richardson-USA TODAY Sports
Watch below highlights from Marshall’s impressive 20-point and 15-assist night against the Jazz on Jan. 3:
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- 5 things learned from Lakers 104-103 loss to Thunder - December 20, 2014
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 50: Marcus Mariota wins Heisman, Kobe Bryant passes Michael Jordan - December 15, 2014
- Can Jim Buss bring the Lakers back to prominence? - December 14, 2014