- Patrick Peterson ‘having fun’ with Richard Sherman feud
- Raiders training camp 2014: line of scrimmage a focus
- Raiders training camp 2014: Dennis Allen in ‘love’ with his quarterbacks
- NFL training camp 2014: Tony Bergstrom ready to meet expectations
- NFL training camp 2014: Raiders have an admirer in Justin Tuck
- Dwight Freeney, Chargers’ linebackers look to improve pass rush in 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
San Francisco Giants release Tony Abreu
- Updated: March 23, 2014
Abreu, who hit .268 for the Giants last year in a limited role, was having an atrocious spring. He only managed a .179 batting average with just one extra-base hit and no walks. The Giants are in desperate need of reliable middle infielders due to the uncertainty surrounding Marco Scutaro‘s injured back, so it speaks to just how terrible Abreu has been this spring when the Giants were so willing to cut ties with him.
The Giants will likely carry three backup infielders to start the year: Joaquin Arias, spring training monster Brandon Hicks, and defensive specialist Ehire Adrianza. Should Scutaro start the season on the disabled list, Arias figures to see the bulk of playing time at second base.
The Giants open their 2014 season on Monday, March 31 against the Arizona Diamondbacks on the road.
Photo Credit: Daniel Shirey/USA TODAY Sports
Latest posts by Dave Tobener (see all)
- San Francisco Giants stand pat at trade deadline - July 31, 2014
- Jake Peavy may be a perfect fit for the San Francisco Giants - July 27, 2014
- San Francisco Giants acquire Jake Peavy - July 26, 2014