- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
- Sharks close trip with uninspired loss 4-1 loss to Sabres
- Chargers notes: Seyi Ajirotutu fined, Ryan Mathews and Manti Te’O to return after bye
- Clippers’ concerns revolve around defense and rebounding
- Do the 49ers have an identity crisis?
- Marcus Lattimore injury: 49ers running back has bigger issue
- Klay Thompson signs 4-year, $70 million extension with Warriors
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win
San Diego State Aztecs win Mountain West Conference
- Updated: March 9, 2014
In a game where the San Diego State Aztecs found themselves in all to familiar spot, they scratched and clawed to prevail yet again.
The Aztecs were down by 16, when they ripped off a 19-1 run over a span of about seven minutes. Xavier Thames led all scorers with 23 points, but his efficiency is what made his performance special going 8-16 from the floor and 7-8 on free throws.
San Diego State finishes the regular season with a 27-3 record, achieving a 16-2 record in the MWC. While the season did provide some lows, the Aztecs came on strong when they needed winning their last four games. The key for them moving forward will be winning out.
The Aztecs need all the help they can get if they wish to be a 2 seed on Selection Sunday. The losses by both Kansas and Arizona on Saturday should boost San Diego State’s ranking when the polls are released Monday.
In any case, look for the Aztecs to be a dark horse in March Madness.
Photo Credit: Christopher Hanewinckel-USA TODAY Sports
Latest posts by Maxim Garshman (see all)
- Chargers News: Bolts use big plays to squeak out victory - November 25, 2014
- Chargers News: Bolts win wild one 27-24 - November 24, 2014
- Chargers News: Bolts D rises to the occasion - November 18, 2014