- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Missed tackles, timely penalties cost Bolts
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Bolts beat themselves, lose 23-20
- Percy Harvin trade showcases the bureaucracy of sports
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report
- Chargers news: Branden Oliver is just what the Bolts needed
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador
- Chargers secondary flying under the radar
- Sharks finally finish Kings in season opener, 4-0
- Lakers training camp 2014: Has Wesley Johnson found his niche?
- NFL Quotes Roundup, Week 5: Reggie Wayne acknowledges age, RGIII makes progress
San Diego State Aztecs win Mountain West Conference
- Updated: March 9, 2014
In a game where the San Diego State Aztecs found themselves in all to familiar spot, they scratched and clawed to prevail yet again.
The Aztecs were down by 16, when they ripped off a 19-1 run over a span of about seven minutes. Xavier Thames led all scorers with 23 points, but his efficiency is what made his performance special going 8-16 from the floor and 7-8 on free throws.
San Diego State finishes the regular season with a 27-3 record, achieving a 16-2 record in the MWC. While the season did provide some lows, the Aztecs came on strong when they needed winning their last four games. The key for them moving forward will be winning out.
The Aztecs need all the help they can get if they wish to be a 2 seed on Selection Sunday. The losses by both Kansas and Arizona on Saturday should boost San Diego State’s ranking when the polls are released Monday.
In any case, look for the Aztecs to be a dark horse in March Madness.
Photo Credit: Christopher Hanewinckel-USA TODAY Sports
Latest posts by Maxim Garshman (see all)
- Chargers vs. Broncos Preview - October 23, 2014
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Missed tackles, timely penalties cost Bolts - October 21, 2014
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Bolts beat themselves, lose 23-20 - October 20, 2014