- Darren Sharper settles multiple rape charges with plea deal
- NFL free agency 2015: Are there any targets left for the Seattle Seahawks?
- Michael Crabtree visits Dolphins amid shrinking market
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 100-98 loss to Rockets
- Wyoming upsets San Diego State, 45-43, wins Mountain West Conference Tournament
- MWC Championship 2015: Winston Shepard drops 16 to rout Colorado State in semifinal
- Tiger Woods to skip Bay Hill, hopeful on Masters
- Cowboys sign Darren McFadden for 2 years, $5.85 million
- Northern Trust Open 2015: James Hahn is the people’s champ
San Diego State Aztecs win Mountain West Conference
- Updated: March 9, 2014
In a game where the San Diego State Aztecs found themselves in all to familiar spot, they scratched and clawed to prevail yet again.
The Aztecs were down by 16, when they ripped off a 19-1 run over a span of about seven minutes. Xavier Thames led all scorers with 23 points, but his efficiency is what made his performance special going 8-16 from the floor and 7-8 on free throws.
San Diego State finishes the regular season with a 27-3 record, achieving a 16-2 record in the MWC. While the season did provide some lows, the Aztecs came on strong when they needed winning their last four games. The key for them moving forward will be winning out.
The Aztecs need all the help they can get if they wish to be a 2 seed on Selection Sunday. The losses by both Kansas and Arizona on Saturday should boost San Diego State’s ranking when the polls are released Monday.
In any case, look for the Aztecs to be a dark horse in March Madness.
Photo Credit: Christopher Hanewinckel-USA TODAY Sports
Latest posts by Maxim Garshman (see all)
- Chargers sign DL Mitch Unrein - March 19, 2015
- Chargers News: Brandon Flowers agrees to 4-year deal - March 8, 2015
- Sharks News: Has GM Doug Wilson given up on Marleau, Thornton era? - March 4, 2015