- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report
- Byron Scott dismisses talk of Kobe Bryant retirement
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs
- Marshawn Lynch may face discipline for media silence, lewd gesture
- Jack Del Rio says he’s been a ‘Raider his whole life’
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 126-121 loss to Cavaliers
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried?
- Jordan Farmar calls being waived by Clippers ‘mutual’
- Padres to host 2016 MLB All-Star game at Petco Park
- Clippers get Austin Rivers in 3-team trade involving Reggie Bullock
San Diego State Aztecs win Mountain West Conference
- Updated: March 9, 2014
In a game where the San Diego State Aztecs found themselves in all to familiar spot, they scratched and clawed to prevail yet again.
The Aztecs were down by 16, when they ripped off a 19-1 run over a span of about seven minutes. Xavier Thames led all scorers with 23 points, but his efficiency is what made his performance special going 8-16 from the floor and 7-8 on free throws.
San Diego State finishes the regular season with a 27-3 record, achieving a 16-2 record in the MWC. While the season did provide some lows, the Aztecs came on strong when they needed winning their last four games. The key for them moving forward will be winning out.
The Aztecs need all the help they can get if they wish to be a 2 seed on Selection Sunday. The losses by both Kansas and Arizona on Saturday should boost San Diego State’s ranking when the polls are released Monday.
In any case, look for the Aztecs to be a dark horse in March Madness.
Photo Credit: Christopher Hanewinckel-USA TODAY Sports
Latest posts by Maxim Garshman (see all)
- Chargers top needs this offseason - January 23, 2015
- Broncos vs. Chargers rivalry takes on new meaning Sunday - December 11, 2014
- Chargers News: Bolts’ stagnant offense gives Patriots 23-14 victory - December 8, 2014