- Northern Trust Open 2015: James Hahn is the people’s champ
- NFL Combine 2015: Top 5 Winners and Losers
- Lakers news: Julius Randle expected to play NBA Summer League
- NFL Scouting Combine: Marcus Mariota tops QBs with 4.52 40-yard dash
- Doc Rivers still recruiting Kendrick Perkins ‘hard,’ per report
- Brett Hundley impresses at NFL Combine with 4.63 40
- San Diego mayor on Chargers-Raiders proposal: ‘That’s not how you do business’
- Chargers, Raiders move forward with Los Angeles stadium proposal
- Seahawks GM seeks Marshawn Lynch contract resolution
- Oregon, head coach Mark Helfrich agree to 5-year, $17.5M extension
San Diego State Aztecs unraveling down the stretch
- Updated: February 23, 2014
The San Diego State Aztecs are realizing what it’s like to be a real threat in the NCAA. After losing twice in the last week (at Wyoming and at New Mexico) the Aztecs are learning that every team is gunning for them.
The New Mexico Lobos were no different Saturday night dominating from the opening tip en route to a 58-44 win. The Lobos at one point were up by 23, leaving the Aztecs with many questions to answer. San Diego State has fallen behind far too often this regular season, especially given their strength of schedule.
The problem for the Aztecs is their offensive production. San Diego State currently sits in last place in assists and free throw percentage and ninth in field goal percentage in the Mountain West. On top of this, in the Aztecs’ three losses Xavier Thames has averaged 13 points and has shot a dismal 23.4 percent from the field.
San Diego State must become more consistent offensively if they wish to make a deep run into March Madness.
If Thames plays like Jamaal Franklin did down the stretch last season the Aztecs will be ousted rather quickly in the tournament. But if the guard can start taking the right shots and J.J. O’Brien can start becoming a presence on offense the Aztecs will have a true shot for the NCAA Championship.
Photo Credit: K.C. Alfred/UT San Diego
Latest posts by Maxim Garshman (see all)
- Sharks News: Has GM Doug Wilson given up on Marleau, Thornton era? - March 4, 2015
- Farmers Insurance Open 2015: Jason Day pulls out victory in 4-man playoff - February 9, 2015
- Farmers Insurance Open: First Round Recap - February 6, 2015