- Angels midseason grades: Turmoil overshadows reasonable start
- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency
- Matt Kemp hitting leadoff as Padres shake things up vs. Giants
- Padres promote Pat Murphy for remainder of the season
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons
- 3 takeaways from Seattle Seahawks OTAs
- Stephen Curry goes cold as Warriors fall to Cavs in OT, 95-93
- San Diego State, USD agree to basketball game at Petco Park, add four years to contract
- LeBron James’ 44 not enough as Warriors top Cavs in OT, 108-100
San Diego State Aztecs unraveling down the stretch
- Updated: February 23, 2014
The San Diego State Aztecs are realizing what it’s like to be a real threat in the NCAA. After losing twice in the last week (at Wyoming and at New Mexico) the Aztecs are learning that every team is gunning for them.
The New Mexico Lobos were no different Saturday night dominating from the opening tip en route to a 58-44 win. The Lobos at one point were up by 23, leaving the Aztecs with many questions to answer. San Diego State has fallen behind far too often this regular season, especially given their strength of schedule.
The problem for the Aztecs is their offensive production. San Diego State currently sits in last place in assists and free throw percentage and ninth in field goal percentage in the Mountain West. On top of this, in the Aztecs’ three losses Xavier Thames has averaged 13 points and has shot a dismal 23.4 percent from the field.
San Diego State must become more consistent offensively if they wish to make a deep run into March Madness.
If Thames plays like Jamaal Franklin did down the stretch last season the Aztecs will be ousted rather quickly in the tournament. But if the guard can start taking the right shots and J.J. O’Brien can start becoming a presence on offense the Aztecs will have a true shot for the NCAA Championship.
Photo Credit: K.C. Alfred/UT San Diego
Latest posts by Maxim Garshman (see all)
- Distractions may cause yet another disappointing season for Bolts - June 18, 2015
- LaDainian Tomlinson’s number to be retired by Chargers - June 11, 2015
- Chargers sign Corey Liuget to five-year extension - June 11, 2015