- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
San Diego State Aztecs unraveling down the stretch
- Updated: February 23, 2014
The San Diego State Aztecs are realizing what it’s like to be a real threat in the NCAA. After losing twice in the last week (at Wyoming and at New Mexico) the Aztecs are learning that every team is gunning for them.
The New Mexico Lobos were no different Saturday night dominating from the opening tip en route to a 58-44 win. The Lobos at one point were up by 23, leaving the Aztecs with many questions to answer. San Diego State has fallen behind far too often this regular season, especially given their strength of schedule.
The problem for the Aztecs is their offensive production. San Diego State currently sits in last place in assists and free throw percentage and ninth in field goal percentage in the Mountain West. On top of this, in the Aztecs’ three losses Xavier Thames has averaged 13 points and has shot a dismal 23.4 percent from the field.
San Diego State must become more consistent offensively if they wish to make a deep run into March Madness.
If Thames plays like Jamaal Franklin did down the stretch last season the Aztecs will be ousted rather quickly in the tournament. But if the guard can start taking the right shots and J.J. O’Brien can start becoming a presence on offense the Aztecs will have a true shot for the NCAA Championship.
Photo Credit: K.C. Alfred/UT San Diego
Latest posts by Maxim Garshman (see all)
- Broncos vs. Chargers rivalry takes on new meaning Sunday - December 11, 2014
- Chargers News: Bolts’ stagnant offense gives Patriots 23-14 victory - December 8, 2014
- Chargers news: Bolts ready for toughest test of season - December 4, 2014