- 49ers, Cardinals fans brawl in Glendale: How San Francisco lost twice
- Chargers vs. Bills, Week 3: Can Bolts build off big win?
- Chargers will go as far as Philip Rivers, veterans will take them
- Chargers vs. Seahawks: 3 things we learned in the Bolts’ 30-21 win
- NFL season 2014: Top 5 surprises of Week 2
- NFL mishandles Ray Rice situation
- Chargers vs. Cardinals, NFL Week 1 preview: Bolts have early road test on MNF stage
- Eric Weddle on 2014 Chargers: ‘We can beat anybody’
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
San Diego State Aztecs unraveling down the stretch
- Updated: February 23, 2014
The San Diego State Aztecs are realizing what it’s like to be a real threat in the NCAA. After losing twice in the last week (at Wyoming and at New Mexico) the Aztecs are learning that every team is gunning for them.
The New Mexico Lobos were no different Saturday night dominating from the opening tip en route to a 58-44 win. The Lobos at one point were up by 23, leaving the Aztecs with many questions to answer. San Diego State has fallen behind far too often this regular season, especially given their strength of schedule.
The problem for the Aztecs is their offensive production. San Diego State currently sits in last place in assists and free throw percentage and ninth in field goal percentage in the Mountain West. On top of this, in the Aztecs’ three losses Xavier Thames has averaged 13 points and has shot a dismal 23.4 percent from the field.
San Diego State must become more consistent offensively if they wish to make a deep run into March Madness.
If Thames plays like Jamaal Franklin did down the stretch last season the Aztecs will be ousted rather quickly in the tournament. But if the guard can start taking the right shots and J.J. O’Brien can start becoming a presence on offense the Aztecs will have a true shot for the NCAA Championship.
Photo Credit: K.C. Alfred/UT San Diego
Latest posts by Maxim Garshman (see all)
- Chargers vs. Bills, Week 3: Can Bolts build off big win? - September 20, 2014
- Chargers will go as far as Philip Rivers, veterans will take them - September 16, 2014
- Chargers vs. Seahawks: 3 things we learned in the Bolts’ 30-21 win - September 15, 2014