- Boise State denies that Sam Ukwuachu’s 2013 dismissal was because of allegations of abuse
- Russell Wilson says he didn’t suffer a concussion in NFC Championship game
- Josh Rosen beats out Jerry Neuheisel as UCLA starting quarterback
- Jered Weaver says dugout outburst not aimed at Mike Trout
- Chargers news: Chris Watt should be getting more attention than D.J. Fluker
- Connor Halliday ready to restart professional football career
- Raiders, Taylor Mays officially agree to contract terms
- NaVorro Bowman brings needed lift to 49ers
- Kenny Stabler named Pro Football Hall of Fame senior finalist
- Sounders FC score 2 late goals against CD Olimpia in CONCACAF Champions League
San Diego State Aztecs unraveling down the stretch
- Updated: February 23, 2014
The San Diego State Aztecs are realizing what it’s like to be a real threat in the NCAA. After losing twice in the last week (at Wyoming and at New Mexico) the Aztecs are learning that every team is gunning for them.
The New Mexico Lobos were no different Saturday night dominating from the opening tip en route to a 58-44 win. The Lobos at one point were up by 23, leaving the Aztecs with many questions to answer. San Diego State has fallen behind far too often this regular season, especially given their strength of schedule.
The problem for the Aztecs is their offensive production. San Diego State currently sits in last place in assists and free throw percentage and ninth in field goal percentage in the Mountain West. On top of this, in the Aztecs’ three losses Xavier Thames has averaged 13 points and has shot a dismal 23.4 percent from the field.
San Diego State must become more consistent offensively if they wish to make a deep run into March Madness.
If Thames plays like Jamaal Franklin did down the stretch last season the Aztecs will be ousted rather quickly in the tournament. But if the guard can start taking the right shots and J.J. O’Brien can start becoming a presence on offense the Aztecs will have a true shot for the NCAA Championship.
Photo Credit: K.C. Alfred/UT San Diego
Latest posts by Maxim Garshman (see all)
- Chargers news: Chris Watt should be getting more attention than D.J. Fluker - August 27, 2015
- Chargers News: Tuesday’s Training Camp Notes - August 19, 2015
- Chargers News: Philip Rivers signs 4 year extension - August 16, 2015