- Chargers notes: Do the Bolts have the best receiving corps in football?
- Los Angeles Clippers Media Day 2014: ‘This is our time’
- Jaguars vs. Chargers, Week 4: Bolts win third straight, 33-14
- 4 things learned about the NFC West
- Pac-12 Las Vegas Outlook: Week 4
- Ben McLemore relaxed after lost rookie year
- Giants playoff tickets 209 percent above season average
- Angels playoff tickets up 257 percent from season average
- Marcus Mariota and the way-too-early Heisman watch
- Chargers news: Donald Brown ready to lead Bolts’ backfield
Seahawks’ fans fly to downtown Seattle to show support
- Updated: February 6, 2014
There’s a reason the Seattle Seahawks have retired the number 12. The same fans who broke the world record for the loudest stadium (multiple times) gathered in downtown Seattle to support their Super Bowl Champion Seahawks by the thousands. 700,000 to be exact.
According to The Associated Press, over 700,000 fans, the 12th Man, poured onto the streets of downtown Seattle for a parade and ceremony to celebrate their team’s first ever championship.
The 2-mile parade began around the Space Needle and marched all the way to the Seahawks’ home, CenturyLink Field, where the ceremony was held.
Fans of all shapes and sizes came to support the Seahawks. Many camped out (in freezing temperatures) on streets along the parade route to assure clear sights of their team. Others traveled from thousands of miles away.
It was estimated that over 25 percent of Seattle Public School’s students played hooky to attend the celebration. Even teachers skipped class to route on their team. 565 were reported absent.
Seahawks players swooshed “12” flags to thank their loyal fans as they cruised the route. Many threw out jerseys, and running back Marshawn Lynch threw out his infamous Skittles.
The crazy day concluded inside the stadium with a celebratory and thank you ceremony. Players were announced one by one, finishing with quarterback Russell Wilson.
Proudly clasping the city’s first Lombardi Trophy, he thanked the thousands of fans and expressed the Seahawks’ goals for the 2014 season; “Our plan is to win another one for you next year.”
Photo Credit: Maurice Photo Inc. via Twitter
Latest posts by Olivia Hops (see all)
- Chargers vs. Seahawks: Will double duel be helpful or hurtful? - August 12, 2014
- Branden Oliver, Chargers’ running backs impress in first game - August 8, 2014
- Chargers begin 2014 charging, take down Cowboys - August 7, 2014