- Raiders training camp 2014: Dennis Allen in ‘love’ with his quarterbacks
- NFL training camp 2014: Tony Bergstrom ready to meet expectations
- NFL training camp 2014: Raiders have an admirer in Justin Tuck
- Dwight Freeney, Chargers’ linebackers look to improve pass rush in 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
- Seattle Seahawks jerseys top NFLshop.com sales
Ray Guy, Ex-Raiders punter, never doubted Hall-of-Fame
- Updated: February 2, 2014
Former Oakland Raiders punter Ray Guy made history on Saturday by becoming the first punter elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Though it seemed like he may never get in based on his specialist position, the man himself never had any doubt.
“I never doubted that I would get into it,” Guy said. “It’s when it would happen. The deal is, I wasn’t worried about being the first. What I really wanted after a few years was somebody to be there to represent in that spot that was vacant until now, somebody to represent the punters because that is the position on a football team that was not fulfilled.”
It would’ve been easy to doubt himself after being a finalist seven times prior beginning in 1992 and being overlooked each time. Fortunately for him, 2014 will be the forever be the culmination of his stellar career, one that is without question deserving of the game’s esteemed honor.
Despite being a lonely punter, Guy’s career credentials speak for themselves. He was a seven-time Pro Bowler, three-time first-team All Prowas a part of three Super Bowl teams and led the NFL three times in punting average while playing with the Raiders in Oakland and Los Angeles from 1973-1986.
His longest punt was 77 yards and he only had three attempts blocked in 14 seasons.
Photo Credit: George Rose/Getty Images
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report - July 25, 2014
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres - July 19, 2014
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million - July 18, 2014