- Raiders’ veteran imports hungry for respect
- Chris Paul injury: Clippers’ guard slowed by hamstring in practice
- Richard Sherman, Seahawks nearing contract extension, per report
- San Francisco Giants’ offense suddenly stalled
- 2014 NBA playoffs roundtable and predictions
- NHL playoffs 2014 preview: Stanley Cup roundtable and predictions
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 15: 49ers’ Aldon Smith arrested, Josh Hamilton out for two months
- NFL Draft 2014: Whose stock is rising and falling?
Ray Guy, Ex-Raiders punter, never doubted Hall-of-Fame
- Updated: February 2, 2014
Former Oakland Raiders punter Ray Guy made history on Saturday by becoming the first punter elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Though it seemed like he may never get in based on his specialist position, the man himself never had any doubt.
“I never doubted that I would get into it,” Guy said. “It’s when it would happen. The deal is, I wasn’t worried about being the first. What I really wanted after a few years was somebody to be there to represent in that spot that was vacant until now, somebody to represent the punters because that is the position on a football team that was not fulfilled.”
It would’ve been easy to doubt himself after being a finalist seven times prior beginning in 1992 and being overlooked each time. Fortunately for him, 2014 will be the forever be the culmination of his stellar career, one that is without question deserving of the game’s esteemed honor.
Despite being a lonely punter, Guy’s career credentials speak for themselves. He was a seven-time Pro Bowler, three-time first-team All Prowas a part of three Super Bowl teams and led the NFL three times in punting average while playing with the Raiders in Oakland and Los Angeles from 1973-1986.
His longest punt was 77 yards and he only had three attempts blocked in 14 seasons.
Photo Credit: George Rose/Getty Images
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Chris Paul injury: Clippers’ guard slowed by hamstring in practice - April 22, 2014
- Richard Sherman, Seahawks nearing contract extension, per report - April 22, 2014
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding - April 16, 2014