- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
Ray Guy, Ex-Raiders punter, never doubted Hall-of-Fame
- Updated: February 2, 2014
Former Oakland Raiders punter Ray Guy made history on Saturday by becoming the first punter elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Though it seemed like he may never get in based on his specialist position, the man himself never had any doubt.
“I never doubted that I would get into it,” Guy said. “It’s when it would happen. The deal is, I wasn’t worried about being the first. What I really wanted after a few years was somebody to be there to represent in that spot that was vacant until now, somebody to represent the punters because that is the position on a football team that was not fulfilled.”
It would’ve been easy to doubt himself after being a finalist seven times prior beginning in 1992 and being overlooked each time. Fortunately for him, 2014 will be the forever be the culmination of his stellar career, one that is without question deserving of the game’s esteemed honor.
Despite being a lonely punter, Guy’s career credentials speak for themselves. He was a seven-time Pro Bowler, three-time first-team All Prowas a part of three Super Bowl teams and led the NFL three times in punting average while playing with the Raiders in Oakland and Los Angeles from 1973-1986.
His longest punt was 77 yards and he only had three attempts blocked in 14 seasons.
Photo Credit: George Rose/Getty Images
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks - December 12, 2014
- VIDEO: Russell Wilson makes Fletcher Cox look silly on quarterback scramble - December 7, 2014
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70 - December 5, 2014