- Raiders’ veteran imports hungry for respect
- Chris Paul injury: Clippers’ guard slowed by hamstring in practice
- Richard Sherman, Seahawks nearing contract extension, per report
- San Francisco Giants’ offense suddenly stalled
- 2014 NBA playoffs roundtable and predictions
- NHL playoffs 2014 preview: Stanley Cup roundtable and predictions
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 15: 49ers’ Aldon Smith arrested, Josh Hamilton out for two months
- NFL Draft 2014: Whose stock is rising and falling?
Chargers’ Philip Rivers earns NFL Comeback Player of the Year honor
- Updated: February 2, 2014
The veteran signal-caller edged out AFC West division foe Knowshon Moreno by five votes with a total of 13 to take home the award, which is given annually by the AP to the player who the voters feel made the most remarkable recovery from the previous season, whether from injury or adverse circumstances.
For Rivers, it was the latter as he struggled to do anything worthwhile from 2011 to 2012. During that abysmal stretch of his career, he committed 47 turnovers and took a mind-boggling 79 sacks. Former Chargers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt deserves a lot of the credit for Rivers’ success. The Bolts’ passing game was prolific thanks to the fusion of Whisenhunt’s penchant for playcalling and Rivers’ accuracy.
In 2013, Rivers made his fifth Pro Bowl and tied a career-high in quarterback rating with a mark of 105.5. He also set a career mark with a 69.5 completion percentage while throwing for 4,478 yards and 32 touchdowns, just two shy of his career-high. What may have sealed the win was potentially the “eye” test, where Rivers looked more comfortable all season with few exceptions en route to a 9-7 finish and an improbable playoff run.
Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Chris Paul injury: Clippers’ guard slowed by hamstring in practice - April 22, 2014
- Richard Sherman, Seahawks nearing contract extension, per report - April 22, 2014
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding - April 16, 2014