- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
Pro Bowl 2014: Chargers Philip Rivers and Weddle to square off
- Updated: January 25, 2014
San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers and safety Eric Weddle will both be on the field Sunday at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu for the 2014 Pro Bowl. They won’t be on the field at different times as usually, however. They will be on the same field, at the same time.
Rivers and Weddle have played for the Chargers together since Weddle was drafted by the team in 2007. Being career long teammates, the two have never been on the field on gameday at the same time.
That will all change Sunday as Rivers will be in neon orange, playing for Team Rice, and Weddle will be in neon green, playing for Team Sanders.
In an effort to revamp the Pro Bowl, the NFL has mixed things up for this year’s game. The game will not put the top AFC and NFC players against one another like in past years. For the first time since the Pro Bowl began in 1970, the game will be un-conferenced.
In the new format, players were drafted onto teams this week. At the helm of each team are former players Deion Sanders and Jerry Rice. And on Wednesday night in the first ever Pro Bowl Draft, Team Sanders drafted Weddle, and Team Rice drafted Rivers.
And so for the first time ever on gameday, the two close teammates and friends will square off against one another. The two have done it many times before in training camp and practice, but never in a game situation.
The game should be interesting to say the least. It’s not just Rivers and Weddle who are the only teammates who will now be in different uniforms come gameday.
To see if Rivers throws a touchdown pass by Weddle, or Weddle picks it off, tune in for the game at 4 p.m. Pacific time.
Photo Credit: Chargers.com-San Diego Chargers
Latest posts by Olivia Hops (see all)
- NFL quote roundup, Week 10: Adrian Peterson misses hearing - November 16, 2014
- NFL quote roundup, Week 7: Peyton Manning tears into scoreboard operator - October 26, 2014
- NFL Quotes Roundup, Week 5: Reggie Wayne acknowledges age, RGIII makes progress - October 5, 2014