- NFL training camp 2014: Tony Bergstrom ready to meet expectations
- NFL training camp 2014: Raiders have an admirer in Justin Tuck
- Dwight Freeney, Chargers’ linebackers look to improve pass rush in 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
- Seattle Seahawks jerseys top NFLshop.com sales
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres
Chargers hire Pete Metzelaars as tight ends coach
- Updated: January 24, 2014
SAN DIEGO — The San Diego Chargers announced Friday that they have hired Pete Metzelaars as the team’s new tight ends coach.
The position became vacant last week after Jason Michael followed former Chargers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt to Tennessee where he will be the Titans’ offensive coordinator.
Metzelaars joins Chargers new offensive coordinator Frank Reich of whom he was a teammate of in the NFL for 12 seasons.
The 6-foot-7 Metzelaars played in the NFL for 16 seasons as a tight end for the Seattle Seahawks (1982-84), Buffalo Bills (1985-1994), Carolina Panthers (1995) and Detroit Lions (1996-97). He played in 235 career games before he retired a Lion after the 1997 season. At the time, it was the most games played by a tight end in NFL history. He caught a total of 383 passes for 3,686 yards and 29 touchdowns, three of which came from Reich.
Metzelaars began coaching immediately after he retired from the league, beginning with Charlotte Christian School from 1998-02. In 2004, he began his eight year tenure with the Indianapolis Colts where he served in several different coaching positions. After departing the team in 2011, he joined the Buffalo Bills where he coached tight ends.
The hire leaves only the quarterback positions coach open in Mike McCoy‘s coaching staff.
Photo Credit: Craig Jones / Allsport
Latest posts by Olivia Hops (see all)
- Dwight Freeney, Chargers’ linebackers look to improve pass rush in 2014 - July 26, 2014
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note - July 24, 2014
- Chargers, Danny Woodhead agree on two-year extension - July 22, 2014