- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
Chargers hire Pete Metzelaars as tight ends coach
- Updated: January 24, 2014
SAN DIEGO — The San Diego Chargers announced Friday that they have hired Pete Metzelaars as the team’s new tight ends coach.
The position became vacant last week after Jason Michael followed former Chargers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt to Tennessee where he will be the Titans’ offensive coordinator.
Metzelaars joins Chargers new offensive coordinator Frank Reich of whom he was a teammate of in the NFL for 12 seasons.
The 6-foot-7 Metzelaars played in the NFL for 16 seasons as a tight end for the Seattle Seahawks (1982-84), Buffalo Bills (1985-1994), Carolina Panthers (1995) and Detroit Lions (1996-97). He played in 235 career games before he retired a Lion after the 1997 season. At the time, it was the most games played by a tight end in NFL history. He caught a total of 383 passes for 3,686 yards and 29 touchdowns, three of which came from Reich.
Metzelaars began coaching immediately after he retired from the league, beginning with Charlotte Christian School from 1998-02. In 2004, he began his eight year tenure with the Indianapolis Colts where he served in several different coaching positions. After departing the team in 2011, he joined the Buffalo Bills where he coached tight ends.
The hire leaves only the quarterback positions coach open in Mike McCoy‘s coaching staff.
Photo Credit: Craig Jones / Allsport
Latest posts by Olivia Hops (see all)
- NFL quote roundup, Week 10: Adrian Peterson misses hearing - November 16, 2014
- NFL quote roundup, Week 7: Peyton Manning tears into scoreboard operator - October 26, 2014
- NFL Quotes Roundup, Week 5: Reggie Wayne acknowledges age, RGIII makes progress - October 5, 2014