- Matt Kemp injury: Dodgers OF feeling strong after minor league game
- Phil Jackson rumors: Ex-Lakers coach gets offers from Knicks
- Portland Trail Blazers’ GM eyes ‘elite’ status as goal
- Watch out for the Houston Rockets
- Brandon Browner reinstated by the NFL
- Corey Brewer reflects on his annihilation of Derek Fisher
- 2014 NFL Draft: 5 Pac-12 standouts who could make an immediate impact
- NFL Draft 2014: Jadeveon Clowney should be No. 1 pick, says Marcus Lattimore
- Seahawks choose not to use franchise tag on Steven Hauschka
- Donald Butler signs contract extension with Chargers
Lakers news: Team to sign Manny Harris
- Updated: January 16, 2014
The Los Angeles Lakers are expected to sign L.A. Defenders guard Manny Harris to a 10-day contract and he will join the team prior to Friday’s game on the road against the Boston Celtics, according to Dave Mcmenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
The 24-year-old has played in 13 games for the D-Fenders this season averaging 30.6 points, 6.5 rebounds, and 3.7 assists in 38.1 minutes per game. This includes scoring at least 20 points in 12 of the 13 games with four 30-point outputs and three 40-p0int games with a franchise record 49 points on Jan. 10.
Harris recent high level of play had earned him the D-League player of the week honors as he averaged 35 points a game on 57percent shooting. He was also moved atop of the NBADLeague.com’s Prospect Watch list. His outstanding play this past week has also earned him the nickname “MichiganMamba” on Twitter.
The former Wolverine went undrafted in the 2010 NBA draft and he signed with the Cleveland Cavaliers. Harris would play in 54 games in the 2010-11 season with the Cavaliers which included 15 starts, where he had a career-high 27 points against the Phoenix Suns on Jan. 9, 2011. He would play in 26 games with Cleveland in the 2011-12 season before getting waived in late December.
Harris would sign with the D-League team Canton Charge, where he would set a franchise record 46 points. And after not making the cut on to the Houston Rockets 15-man roster in 2012, he would sign with the BC Azovmash in Ukraine for the 2012-13 season.
The addition of another player to the Lakers’ roster was expected after guard Nick Young was ejected in the second quarter of Wednesday’s game against the Phoenix Suns and he will likely receive a suspension for his altercation with Suns guard Goran Dragic.
Photo Credit: NBAE/Getty Images
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- NFL free agency 2014: 5 AFC West players who could change teams - March 10, 2014
- Jodie Meeks continues to provide Lakers a consistent scoring punch - March 9, 2014
- Jodie Meeks’ career-high 42 points carries Lakers past Thunder, 114-110 - March 9, 2014