- Matt Kemp injury: Dodgers OF feeling strong after minor league game
- Phil Jackson rumors: Ex-Lakers coach gets offers from Knicks
- Portland Trail Blazers’ GM eyes ‘elite’ status as goal
- Watch out for the Houston Rockets
- Brandon Browner reinstated by the NFL
- Corey Brewer reflects on his annihilation of Derek Fisher
- 2014 NFL Draft: 5 Pac-12 standouts who could make an immediate impact
- NFL Draft 2014: Jadeveon Clowney should be No. 1 pick, says Marcus Lattimore
- Seahawks choose not to use franchise tag on Steven Hauschka
- Donald Butler signs contract extension with Chargers
Lakers release Shawne Williams
- Updated: January 8, 2014
The Los Angeles Lakers on Tuesday afternoon trimmed their roster to 14 players by waiving forward Shawne Williams, according to Ramona Shelburne of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
The 27-year-old was released just hours before the 5 p.m. deadline on Tuesday that would make his contract with the team guaranteed. This season with the Lakers he played in 32 games with 11 starts as he averaged 5.2 and 4.5 rebounds in 20.2 minutes per game. His best game with the team was during their 106-102 win over the Detroit Pistons on Nov. 29 where he scored 20 points with nine rebounds that included going 6-of-11 from 3-point range.
Prior to this season, Williams had been out of the NBA for the entire 2012-13 season and had last played with the Dallas Mavericks. He would sign with the Lakers last offseason under a partially guaranteed contract worth $1.1 million. His addition to the team was made for the most part due to his familiarity with head coach Mike D’Antoni, as he played under him during 2010-11 season with the New York Knicks.
The move to cut Williams is believed to be linked as part of a chain reaction to forward/center Pau Gasol not getting traded to the Cleveland Cavaliers for Andrew Bynum, as the Cavaliers chose to send Bynum to the Chicago Bulls in a deal that landed them forward Luol Deng and draft picks.
As the Lakers now have an open roster spot, it gives them the opportunity to either to sign a free agent player or use it to their advantage should they choose to make a trade.
Photo Credit: Andrew D. Bernstein/NBAE via Getty Images
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- NFL free agency 2014: 5 AFC West players who could change teams - March 10, 2014
- Jodie Meeks continues to provide Lakers a consistent scoring punch - March 9, 2014
- Jodie Meeks’ career-high 42 points carries Lakers past Thunder, 114-110 - March 9, 2014