- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
Lakers news: Pau Gasol will not play in Friday’s game
- Updated: December 27, 2013
Gasol, who is officially listed as day-to-day, had missed last Saturday’s game against the Golden State Warriors because of the illness and had played the last two games against the Phoenix Suns on Tuesday and the Miami Heat on Christmas day. The 33-year-old had not shown signs that his health had been bothering him as he averaged 11.5 points, 8.5 rebounds and 3.0 assists in both games this week.
The news had not come as much of a surprise after Thursday’s practice as it was revealed that he did not participate as he had visited ear, nose and throat specialist Dr. John J. Rehm.
“Like anything else, you’re not 100 percent physically and you’re going to have shorter times of energy and stuff like that,” Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni said when asked about Gasol. “He’ll get over it. He’ll be fine.”
The three-time All-Star has struggled with his health this season that include several bouts with respiratory problems, a strain muscle in his left foot and a mild right ankle sprain. This in turn may have effected his play on the court this season as he is averaging a career-low in field goal percentage at .446, and his second lowest points per game average at 14.7.
Photo Credit: USATSI
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 50: Marcus Mariota wins Heisman, Kobe Bryant passes Michael Jordan - December 15, 2014
- Can Jim Buss bring the Lakers back to prominence? - December 14, 2014
- Kobe Bryant loses it at Lakers practice, calls out players as ‘soft’ - December 12, 2014