- Pac-12 video preview: California Golden Bears at Washington Huskies
- Lakers sign center Robert Upshaw
- Raiders’ Charles Woodson, Derek Carr day-to-day with injuries
- Philip Rivers, Carlos Hyde earn NFL players of the week honors
- Golden State Warriors pursuing Steve Nash, per report
- Video preview: Utah State Aggies at Washington Huskies
- Seattle Seahawks top Las Vegas sportsbook as Super Bowl favorites
- Lions vs. Chargers: Philip Rivers, Melvin Gordon dealing with nerves, excitement
- Richard Sherman: Tom Brady, Patriots didn’t cheat
- Pac-12 preview: Oregon Ducks at Michigan State Spartans
Lakers news: Pau Gasol will not play in Friday’s game
- Updated: December 27, 2013
Gasol, who is officially listed as day-to-day, had missed last Saturday’s game against the Golden State Warriors because of the illness and had played the last two games against the Phoenix Suns on Tuesday and the Miami Heat on Christmas day. The 33-year-old had not shown signs that his health had been bothering him as he averaged 11.5 points, 8.5 rebounds and 3.0 assists in both games this week.
The news had not come as much of a surprise after Thursday’s practice as it was revealed that he did not participate as he had visited ear, nose and throat specialist Dr. John J. Rehm.
“Like anything else, you’re not 100 percent physically and you’re going to have shorter times of energy and stuff like that,” Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni said when asked about Gasol. “He’ll get over it. He’ll be fine.”
The three-time All-Star has struggled with his health this season that include several bouts with respiratory problems, a strain muscle in his left foot and a mild right ankle sprain. This in turn may have effected his play on the court this season as he is averaging a career-low in field goal percentage at .446, and his second lowest points per game average at 14.7.
Photo Credit: USATSI