- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Missed tackles, timely penalties cost Bolts
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Bolts beat themselves, lose 23-20
- Percy Harvin trade showcases the bureaucracy of sports
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report
- Chargers news: Branden Oliver is just what the Bolts needed
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador
- Chargers secondary flying under the radar
- Sharks finally finish Kings in season opener, 4-0
- Lakers training camp 2014: Has Wesley Johnson found his niche?
- NFL Quotes Roundup, Week 5: Reggie Wayne acknowledges age, RGIII makes progress
Lakers news: Team signs PG Kendall Marshall
- Updated: December 20, 2013
With the news on Thursday that Kobe Bryant would miss at least the next six weeks with a fractured lateral tibial plateau in his left knee, the Los Angeles Lakers signed free agent point guard Kendall Marshall, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
The 22-year-old was selected as the 13th overall pick by the Phoenix Suns in the 2012 NBA draft after his sophomore season at the University of North Carolina. Marshall spent the 2012-13 season with the Suns before getting traded in October to the Washington Wizards, where he was released by the team.
He has since then played seven games in the D-League as a member of the Delaware 87ers, where he was averaging 19.7 points and 9.6 assists, and 4.7 rebounds per game.
The addition of Marshall to Los Angeles provides some much needed point guard depth with Steve Nash and Steve Blake out for the next several weeks, and Jordan Farmar out at least one more week. Before the signing of Marshall, head coach Mike D’Antoni had stated on Thursday that the team would start Xavier Henry at point guard.
The former Tar Heel will likely come off the bench as the point guard of the second unit until Farmar returns from his torn left hamstring that he suffered in the first half of the Lakers game against the Portland Trail Blazers on December 1.
Photo Credit: USATSI
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Lakers cut Jeremy Tyler, Keith Appling - October 21, 2014
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 41: Dodgers make front office change, Seahawks fall again - October 20, 2014
- 5 things we learned from Lakers’ 98-91 win over Jazz - October 20, 2014