- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
- Sacramento Kings unveil new 2014 home, away jerseys
- NFL Training Camp 2014: Chargers season preview
- Raiders training camp 2014: Darren McFadden unfazed by demotion
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy
- Outdoor game between Sharks and Kings leaked
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71
Lakers news: Team signs PG Kendall Marshall
- Updated: December 20, 2013
With the news on Thursday that Kobe Bryant would miss at least the next six weeks with a fractured lateral tibial plateau in his left knee, the Los Angeles Lakers signed free agent point guard Kendall Marshall, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
The 22-year-old was selected as the 13th overall pick by the Phoenix Suns in the 2012 NBA draft after his sophomore season at the University of North Carolina. Marshall spent the 2012-13 season with the Suns before getting traded in October to the Washington Wizards, where he was released by the team.
He has since then played seven games in the D-League as a member of the Delaware 87ers, where he was averaging 19.7 points and 9.6 assists, and 4.7 rebounds per game.
The addition of Marshall to Los Angeles provides some much needed point guard depth with Steve Nash and Steve Blake out for the next several weeks, and Jordan Farmar out at least one more week. Before the signing of Marshall, head coach Mike D’Antoni had stated on Thursday that the team would start Xavier Henry at point guard.
The former Tar Heel will likely come off the bench as the point guard of the second unit until Farmar returns from his torn left hamstring that he suffered in the first half of the Lakers game against the Portland Trail Blazers on December 1.
Photo Credit: USATSI
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 35: Pac-12 Conference cruises in opening week, Angels sweep A’s - September 1, 2014
- How will Jeremy Lin and Kobe Bryant fare in the same backcourt? - August 31, 2014
- Lakers work out Michael Beasley for 2nd time - August 27, 2014