- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
Lakers news: Team signs PG Kendall Marshall
- Updated: December 20, 2013
With the news on Thursday that Kobe Bryant would miss at least the next six weeks with a fractured lateral tibial plateau in his left knee, the Los Angeles Lakers signed free agent point guard Kendall Marshall, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
The 22-year-old was selected as the 13th overall pick by the Phoenix Suns in the 2012 NBA draft after his sophomore season at the University of North Carolina. Marshall spent the 2012-13 season with the Suns before getting traded in October to the Washington Wizards, where he was released by the team.
He has since then played seven games in the D-League as a member of the Delaware 87ers, where he was averaging 19.7 points and 9.6 assists, and 4.7 rebounds per game.
The addition of Marshall to Los Angeles provides some much needed point guard depth with Steve Nash and Steve Blake out for the next several weeks, and Jordan Farmar out at least one more week. Before the signing of Marshall, head coach Mike D’Antoni had stated on Thursday that the team would start Xavier Henry at point guard.
The former Tar Heel will likely come off the bench as the point guard of the second unit until Farmar returns from his torn left hamstring that he suffered in the first half of the Lakers game against the Portland Trail Blazers on December 1.
Photo Credit: USATSI
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 50: Marcus Mariota wins Heisman, Kobe Bryant passes Michael Jordan - December 15, 2014
- Can Jim Buss bring the Lakers back to prominence? - December 14, 2014
- Kobe Bryant loses it at Lakers practice, calls out players as ‘soft’ - December 12, 2014