- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report
- Byron Scott dismisses talk of Kobe Bryant retirement
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs
- Marshawn Lynch may face discipline for media silence, lewd gesture
- Jack Del Rio says he’s been a ‘Raider his whole life’
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 126-121 loss to Cavaliers
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried?
- Jordan Farmar calls being waived by Clippers ‘mutual’
- Padres to host 2016 MLB All-Star game at Petco Park
- Clippers get Austin Rivers in 3-team trade involving Reggie Bullock
49ers lose fullback Bruce Miller for season
- Updated: December 16, 2013
Miller injured his left scapula (shoulder blade) when he took a hit from Bucs safety Keith Tandy along the sideline at the end of a 10 yard reception.
“It’s a very significant loss,” said head coach Jim Harbaugh. “He does so many things in pass protection and the run game, plus receiving out of the backfield. He’s a multi-talented and multi-use player. That’s a loss.”
To replace Miller, the team may bring in former Stanford and Cleveland Browns fullback Owen Marecic. Marecic, who was with the 49ers briefly earlier in the year after the Browns released him, was apparently en route to Santa Clara for a physical exam. The 49ers could also use Anthony Dixon at fullback in the short term or, as Harbaugh put it, “get creative” with some of the other players on the roster.
Miller’s absence will cause a major hole in both the running and passing games. He is currently the team’s third leading receiver with 25 catches for 243 yards.
Latest posts by Al Sacco (see all)
- What do Kurt Warner’s comments say about Jim Harbaugh? - January 30, 2015
- Is Jim Tomsula just Jed York’s puppet? - January 15, 2015
- 49ers’ decision to pursue Adam Gase as head coach is misguided - January 13, 2015