- Los Angeles Clippers Media Day 2014: ‘This is our time’
- Jaguars vs. Chargers, Week 4: Bolts win third straight, 33-14
- 4 things learned about the NFC West
- Pac-12 Las Vegas Outlook: Week 4
- Ben McLemore relaxed after lost rookie year
- Giants playoff tickets 209 percent above season average
- Angels playoff tickets up 257 percent from season average
- Marcus Mariota and the way-too-early Heisman watch
- Chargers news: Donald Brown ready to lead Bolts’ backfield
- Are NFL teams mishandling quarterbacks in 2014?
49ers lose fullback Bruce Miller for season
- Updated: December 16, 2013
Miller injured his left scapula (shoulder blade) when he took a hit from Bucs safety Keith Tandy along the sideline at the end of a 10 yard reception.
“It’s a very significant loss,” said head coach Jim Harbaugh. “He does so many things in pass protection and the run game, plus receiving out of the backfield. He’s a multi-talented and multi-use player. That’s a loss.”
To replace Miller, the team may bring in former Stanford and Cleveland Browns fullback Owen Marecic. Marecic, who was with the 49ers briefly earlier in the year after the Browns released him, was apparently en route to Santa Clara for a physical exam. The 49ers could also use Anthony Dixon at fullback in the short term or, as Harbaugh put it, “get creative” with some of the other players on the roster.
Miller’s absence will cause a major hole in both the running and passing games. He is currently the team’s third leading receiver with 25 catches for 243 yards.
Latest posts by Al Sacco (see all)
- 49ers Week 4 primer: Eagles fly in as Niners approach a crossroads - September 26, 2014
- 49ers seem to have an identitiy crisis on offense (again) - September 24, 2014
- 49ers Week 3 primer: Can the Niners rebound after a tough loss? - September 19, 2014