- Klay Thompson signs 4-year, $70 million extension with Warriors
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win
- Russell Westbrook injury: Thunder guard exits game vs. Clippers, won’t return
- Chargers news: Bolts acknowledge importance of Miami game
- Julius Randle injury: Lakers rookie suffers broken leg in 1st NBA game
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Missed tackles, timely penalties cost Bolts
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Bolts beat themselves, lose 23-20
- Percy Harvin trade showcases the bureaucracy of sports
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report
- Chargers news: Branden Oliver is just what the Bolts needed
49ers lose fullback Bruce Miller for season
- Updated: December 16, 2013
Miller injured his left scapula (shoulder blade) when he took a hit from Bucs safety Keith Tandy along the sideline at the end of a 10 yard reception.
“It’s a very significant loss,” said head coach Jim Harbaugh. “He does so many things in pass protection and the run game, plus receiving out of the backfield. He’s a multi-talented and multi-use player. That’s a loss.”
To replace Miller, the team may bring in former Stanford and Cleveland Browns fullback Owen Marecic. Marecic, who was with the 49ers briefly earlier in the year after the Browns released him, was apparently en route to Santa Clara for a physical exam. The 49ers could also use Anthony Dixon at fullback in the short term or, as Harbaugh put it, “get creative” with some of the other players on the roster.
Miller’s absence will cause a major hole in both the running and passing games. He is currently the team’s third leading receiver with 25 catches for 243 yards.
Latest posts by Al Sacco (see all)
- 49ers Week 9 primer: Second half run begins with Rams - October 31, 2014
- Ahmad Brooks’ slow start should be a concern for the 49ers - October 29, 2014
- The emergence of Stevie Johnson gives the 49ers options heading into the future - October 24, 2014