- Raiders training camp 2014: line of scrimmage a focus
- Raiders training camp 2014: Dennis Allen in ‘love’ with his quarterbacks
- NFL training camp 2014: Tony Bergstrom ready to meet expectations
- NFL training camp 2014: Raiders have an admirer in Justin Tuck
- Dwight Freeney, Chargers’ linebackers look to improve pass rush in 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
49ers lose fullback Bruce Miller for season
- Updated: December 16, 2013
Miller injured his left scapula (shoulder blade) when he took a hit from Bucs safety Keith Tandy along the sideline at the end of a 10 yard reception.
“It’s a very significant loss,” said head coach Jim Harbaugh. “He does so many things in pass protection and the run game, plus receiving out of the backfield. He’s a multi-talented and multi-use player. That’s a loss.”
To replace Miller, the team may bring in former Stanford and Cleveland Browns fullback Owen Marecic. Marecic, who was with the 49ers briefly earlier in the year after the Browns released him, was apparently en route to Santa Clara for a physical exam. The 49ers could also use Anthony Dixon at fullback in the short term or, as Harbaugh put it, “get creative” with some of the other players on the roster.
Miller’s absence will cause a major hole in both the running and passing games. He is currently the team’s third leading receiver with 25 catches for 243 yards.
Latest posts by Al Sacco (see all)
- 49ers training camp: What’s the outlook at running back? - July 29, 2014
- Joe Torre reflects on decision to manage the Dodgers - July 26, 2014
- Vernon Davis reports to training camp on time - July 23, 2014