- Northern Trust Open 2015: James Hahn is the people’s champ
- NFL Combine 2015: Top 5 Winners and Losers
- Lakers news: Julius Randle expected to play NBA Summer League
- NFL Scouting Combine: Marcus Mariota tops QBs with 4.52 40-yard dash
- Doc Rivers still recruiting Kendrick Perkins ‘hard,’ per report
- Brett Hundley impresses at NFL Combine with 4.63 40
- San Diego mayor on Chargers-Raiders proposal: ‘That’s not how you do business’
- Chargers, Raiders move forward with Los Angeles stadium proposal
- Seahawks GM seeks Marshawn Lynch contract resolution
- Oregon, head coach Mark Helfrich agree to 5-year, $17.5M extension
UCLA LB Anthony Barr earns Lott Award, eyes others
- Updated: December 9, 2013
UCLA linebacker Anthony Barr has earned the Lott IMPACT Trophy in its 10th year of existence as the Bruins’ most influential defensive player.
The award, which is named after NFL Hall of Famer and former USC Trojans linebacker Ronnie Lott is aimed at honoring an individual for his community involvement, leadership qualities and academic performance. Barr was a major catalyst for UCLA this season and put up stellar numbers, finishing with 20 tackles for loss, 10 sacks, five forced fumbles and four fumble recoveries to go along with 62 total tackles.
As the first Bruin to win the award, Barr earned UCLA $25,000 for its general scholarship fund. In addition to Barr, Chris Borland of Wisconsin, USC’s Devin Kennard and James Morris of Iowa each were named as finalists.
Current San Diego Chargers linebacker Manti Te’O won the award last season in a banner senior season for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish.
UCLA is preparing to appear in the Sun Bowl against Virginia Tech on Dec. 31, where Barr will finish his stellar collegiate career. Most remarkably, he only played two seasons at linebacker after coming in as a running back. He made waves quickly on defense, however, finishing with a Pac-12 leading 13.5 sacks in 2012. He’s sure to be in line for more awards before the season is over and could be one of the highest NFL draft picks in 2014.
Photo Credit: Jonathan Moore | Getty Images
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Northern Trust Open 2015: James Hahn is the people’s champ - February 23, 2015
- Lakers news: Julius Randle expected to play NBA Summer League - February 21, 2015
- NFL Scouting Combine: Marcus Mariota tops QBs with 4.52 40-yard dash - February 21, 2015