- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Missed tackles, timely penalties cost Bolts
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Bolts beat themselves, lose 23-20
- Percy Harvin trade showcases the bureaucracy of sports
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report
- Chargers news: Branden Oliver is just what the Bolts needed
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador
- Chargers secondary flying under the radar
- Sharks finally finish Kings in season opener, 4-0
- Lakers training camp 2014: Has Wesley Johnson found his niche?
- NFL Quotes Roundup, Week 5: Reggie Wayne acknowledges age, RGIII makes progress
Rudy Gay traded to Sacramento Kings in exchange for Patrick Patterson, 3 others
- Updated: December 8, 2013
The Sacramento Kings acquired Toronto Raptors forward Rudy Gay on Sunday in exchange for four players, according to Yahoo Sports NBA insider Adrian Wojnarowski.
In addition to Gay, the Kings will receive Quincy Acy and Aaron Gray. The Kings also sent Greivis Vasquez, Patrick Patterson, John Salmons and Chuck Hayes to the Raptors. Gay, the obvious centerpiece of the deal, will sit out on Sunday night against the Los Angeles Lakers as Kobe Bryant makes his season debut at Staples Center.
The move shows that the Kings’ new ownership is serious about building a competitive team right away. Gay brings instant star power and veteran leadership to a young roster looking for direction and discipline. With DeMarcus Cousins as the cornerstone for the future, Gay will be a complementary star who could fit well within the framework of Sacramento’s system.
Where Gay will do the Kings the most good is on defense, where he remains one of the league’s best on-ball defenders. The Kings have had difficulty getting stops and it’s already cost them games. Sacramento ranks 27th in the league in defensive rating with 107.5 points allowed per 100 possessions.
The move also means that Raptors point guard Kyle Lowry could be headed elsewhere in a corresponding move, as pointed out by Pro Basketball Talk’s Kurt Helin:
If the Raptors are trading for Vasquez in a Gay deal, you have to think Lowry has one foot out the door.
— Kurt Helin (@basketballtalk) December 9, 2013
This has to be just the beginning for both teams.
Photo Credit: Rocky Widner / Getty Images
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report - October 17, 2014
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador - October 11, 2014
- Padres fall to Rockies, 3-2 despite testing Jorge De La Rosa - September 23, 2014