- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report
- Byron Scott dismisses talk of Kobe Bryant retirement
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs
- Marshawn Lynch may face discipline for media silence, lewd gesture
- Jack Del Rio says he’s been a ‘Raider his whole life’
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 126-121 loss to Cavaliers
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried?
- Jordan Farmar calls being waived by Clippers ‘mutual’
- Padres to host 2016 MLB All-Star game at Petco Park
- Clippers get Austin Rivers in 3-team trade involving Reggie Bullock
Rudy Gay traded to Sacramento Kings in exchange for Patrick Patterson, 3 others
- Updated: December 8, 2013
The Sacramento Kings acquired Toronto Raptors forward Rudy Gay on Sunday in exchange for four players, according to Yahoo Sports NBA insider Adrian Wojnarowski.
In addition to Gay, the Kings will receive Quincy Acy and Aaron Gray. The Kings also sent Greivis Vasquez, Patrick Patterson, John Salmons and Chuck Hayes to the Raptors. Gay, the obvious centerpiece of the deal, will sit out on Sunday night against the Los Angeles Lakers as Kobe Bryant makes his season debut at Staples Center.
The move shows that the Kings’ new ownership is serious about building a competitive team right away. Gay brings instant star power and veteran leadership to a young roster looking for direction and discipline. With DeMarcus Cousins as the cornerstone for the future, Gay will be a complementary star who could fit well within the framework of Sacramento’s system.
Where Gay will do the Kings the most good is on defense, where he remains one of the league’s best on-ball defenders. The Kings have had difficulty getting stops and it’s already cost them games. Sacramento ranks 27th in the league in defensive rating with 107.5 points allowed per 100 possessions.
The move also means that Raptors point guard Kyle Lowry could be headed elsewhere in a corresponding move, as pointed out by Pro Basketball Talk’s Kurt Helin:
If the Raptors are trading for Vasquez in a Gay deal, you have to think Lowry has one foot out the door.
— Kurt Helin (@basketballtalk) December 9, 2013
This has to be just the beginning for both teams.
Photo Credit: Rocky Widner / Getty Images
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report - January 20, 2015
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs - January 19, 2015
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried? - January 16, 2015