- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency
- Matt Kemp hitting leadoff as Padres shake things up vs. Giants
- Padres promote Pat Murphy for remainder of the season
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons
- 3 takeaways from Seattle Seahawks OTAs
- Stephen Curry goes cold as Warriors fall to Cavs in OT, 95-93
- San Diego State, USD agree to basketball game at Petco Park, add four years to contract
- LeBron James’ 44 not enough as Warriors top Cavs in OT, 108-100
- Padres top Mets, 7-2, as Yonder Alonso returns in style
Rudy Gay traded to Sacramento Kings in exchange for Patrick Patterson, 3 others
- Updated: December 8, 2013
The Sacramento Kings acquired Toronto Raptors forward Rudy Gay on Sunday in exchange for four players, according to Yahoo Sports NBA insider Adrian Wojnarowski.
In addition to Gay, the Kings will receive Quincy Acy and Aaron Gray. The Kings also sent Greivis Vasquez, Patrick Patterson, John Salmons and Chuck Hayes to the Raptors. Gay, the obvious centerpiece of the deal, will sit out on Sunday night against the Los Angeles Lakers as Kobe Bryant makes his season debut at Staples Center.
The move shows that the Kings’ new ownership is serious about building a competitive team right away. Gay brings instant star power and veteran leadership to a young roster looking for direction and discipline. With DeMarcus Cousins as the cornerstone for the future, Gay will be a complementary star who could fit well within the framework of Sacramento’s system.
Where Gay will do the Kings the most good is on defense, where he remains one of the league’s best on-ball defenders. The Kings have had difficulty getting stops and it’s already cost them games. Sacramento ranks 27th in the league in defensive rating with 107.5 points allowed per 100 possessions.
The move also means that Raptors point guard Kyle Lowry could be headed elsewhere in a corresponding move, as pointed out by Pro Basketball Talk’s Kurt Helin:
If the Raptors are trading for Vasquez in a Gay deal, you have to think Lowry has one foot out the door.
— Kurt Helin (@basketballtalk) December 9, 2013
This has to be just the beginning for both teams.
Photo Credit: Rocky Widner / Getty Images
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency - June 29, 2015
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes - June 15, 2015
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons - June 15, 2015