- Chris Paul injury: Clippers’ guard slowed by hamstring in practice
- Richard Sherman, Seahawks nearing contract extension, per report
- San Francisco Giants’ offense suddenly stalled
- 2014 NBA playoffs roundtable and predictions
- NHL playoffs 2014 preview: Stanley Cup roundtable and predictions
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 15: 49ers’ Aldon Smith arrested, Josh Hamilton out for two months
- NFL Draft 2014: Whose stock is rising and falling?
- Lakers lose 7th straight in home finale blowout vs. Grizzlies, 102-90
Rudy Gay traded to Sacramento Kings in exchange for Patrick Patterson, 3 others
- Updated: December 8, 2013
The Sacramento Kings acquired Toronto Raptors forward Rudy Gay on Sunday in exchange for four players, according to Yahoo Sports NBA insider Adrian Wojnarowski.
In addition to Gay, the Kings will receive Quincy Acy and Aaron Gray. The Kings also sent Greivis Vasquez, Patrick Patterson, John Salmons and Chuck Hayes to the Raptors. Gay, the obvious centerpiece of the deal, will sit out on Sunday night against the Los Angeles Lakers as Kobe Bryant makes his season debut at Staples Center.
The move shows that the Kings’ new ownership is serious about building a competitive team right away. Gay brings instant star power and veteran leadership to a young roster looking for direction and discipline. With DeMarcus Cousins as the cornerstone for the future, Gay will be a complementary star who could fit well within the framework of Sacramento’s system.
Where Gay will do the Kings the most good is on defense, where he remains one of the league’s best on-ball defenders. The Kings have had difficulty getting stops and it’s already cost them games. Sacramento ranks 27th in the league in defensive rating with 107.5 points allowed per 100 possessions.
The move also means that Raptors point guard Kyle Lowry could be headed elsewhere in a corresponding move, as pointed out by Pro Basketball Talk’s Kurt Helin:
If the Raptors are trading for Vasquez in a Gay deal, you have to think Lowry has one foot out the door.
— Kurt Helin (@basketballtalk) December 9, 2013
This has to be just the beginning for both teams.
Photo Credit: Rocky Widner / Getty Images
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Chris Paul injury: Clippers’ guard slowed by hamstring in practice - April 22, 2014
- Richard Sherman, Seahawks nearing contract extension, per report - April 22, 2014
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding - April 16, 2014