- Angels midseason grades: Turmoil overshadows reasonable start
- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency
- Matt Kemp hitting leadoff as Padres shake things up vs. Giants
- Padres promote Pat Murphy for remainder of the season
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons
- 3 takeaways from Seattle Seahawks OTAs
- Stephen Curry goes cold as Warriors fall to Cavs in OT, 95-93
- San Diego State, USD agree to basketball game at Petco Park, add four years to contract
- LeBron James’ 44 not enough as Warriors top Cavs in OT, 108-100
Kobe Bryant return: Lakers star to debut Sunday vs. Raptors
- Updated: December 6, 2013
The video, which is over two minutes in length, goes through a progression of weather that signifies Bryant’s journey through adversity, triumph and hardship. At the very end, there’s a subtle but definitive reference to his return date. In white letters on a black backdrop, the words “December 8″ grace the screen.
That means that Bryant’s rehabilitation, ramped up activity and strong week of practice will finally come to fruition over the weekend on the Lakers’ home floor. They’ll next face the Phoenix Suns on Tuesday at Staples Center before going on a four-game road trip that will include a marquee game against the Oklahoma City Thunder on ESPN.
The biggest questions will be what kind of effect Bryant will have on the team dynamic when he comes in and what kind of player he’ll be upon his return. He’s almost certain to lose some of his explosiveness, but he’s proven to be a master at making adjustments and will be a difference-maker from the onset.
Nevetheless, the Lakers and the NBA have waited all season for Dec. 8, and what would have been an otherwise uneventful game now receives top billing.
Photo Credit | Gary A. Vasquez / USA Today