- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report
- Byron Scott dismisses talk of Kobe Bryant retirement
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs
- Marshawn Lynch may face discipline for media silence, lewd gesture
- Jack Del Rio says he’s been a ‘Raider his whole life’
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 126-121 loss to Cavaliers
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried?
- Jordan Farmar calls being waived by Clippers ‘mutual’
- Padres to host 2016 MLB All-Star game at Petco Park
- Clippers get Austin Rivers in 3-team trade involving Reggie Bullock
Lakers news: Nick Young to play through sprained finger
- Updated: November 29, 2013
Los Angeles Lakers forward/guard Nick Young will play with a splint on his sprained ring finger on his left hand in Friday’s game against the Detroit Pistons at the Palace of Auburn Hills according to Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News.
The 28-year-old suffered the injury during the Lakers 99-94 win on Wednesday against the Brooklyn Nets when forward Paul Pierce hit his left hand on his layup attempt in the final two minutes of the fourth quarter. Following the missed layup attempt, Young was subbed out of the game during the next timeout.
After being moved the bench in the fourth game of the season, Young has relished in his new role by providing Los Angeles a scoring option with the second unit. In the past five games he has averaged 17.8 points on 46.3 percent shooting, which includes a season-high 26 points that he scored against the Nets.
Young’s consistent scoring output is also much needed due to the fact that Kobe Bryant is still out rehabbing his surgically-repaired left Achilles tendon. Bryant is also familiar with finger splints as he played with one on during the 2009-10 season when he fractured his right index finger. The 18-year veteran throughout that season fiddled with the splint and altered his shot to compensate for the injured finger.
With that said, it will be interesting to see how Young plays through this injury as it will affect the pressure he can put on the ball with his guide hand when he shots.
Photo Credit: Noah Graham/Getty Images
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 4: Kobe Bryant expected to miss rest of season, Team Irvin wins Pro Bowl - January 26, 2015
- 5 things we learned Lakers’ 99-87 loss to Rockets - January 26, 2015
- Kobe Bryant’s health will dictate how he ends his career - January 25, 2015