- Klay Thompson signs 4-year, $70 million extension with Warriors
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win
- Russell Westbrook injury: Thunder guard exits game vs. Clippers, won’t return
- Chargers news: Bolts acknowledge importance of Miami game
- Julius Randle injury: Lakers rookie suffers broken leg in 1st NBA game
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Missed tackles, timely penalties cost Bolts
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Bolts beat themselves, lose 23-20
- Percy Harvin trade showcases the bureaucracy of sports
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report
- Chargers news: Branden Oliver is just what the Bolts needed
Lakers news: Nick Young to play through sprained finger
- Updated: November 29, 2013
Los Angeles Lakers forward/guard Nick Young will play with a splint on his sprained ring finger on his left hand in Friday’s game against the Detroit Pistons at the Palace of Auburn Hills according to Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News.
The 28-year-old suffered the injury during the Lakers 99-94 win on Wednesday against the Brooklyn Nets when forward Paul Pierce hit his left hand on his layup attempt in the final two minutes of the fourth quarter. Following the missed layup attempt, Young was subbed out of the game during the next timeout.
After being moved the bench in the fourth game of the season, Young has relished in his new role by providing Los Angeles a scoring option with the second unit. In the past five games he has averaged 17.8 points on 46.3 percent shooting, which includes a season-high 26 points that he scored against the Nets.
Young’s consistent scoring output is also much needed due to the fact that Kobe Bryant is still out rehabbing his surgically-repaired left Achilles tendon. Bryant is also familiar with finger splints as he played with one on during the 2009-10 season when he fractured his right index finger. The 18-year veteran throughout that season fiddled with the splint and altered his shot to compensate for the injured finger.
With that said, it will be interesting to see how Young plays through this injury as it will affect the pressure he can put on the ball with his guide hand when he shots.
Photo Credit: Noah Graham/Getty Images
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Julius Randle injury: Lakers rookie expected to miss season - October 30, 2014
- 5 things we learned from Lakers’ 109-90 loss to Rockets - October 29, 2014
- Kobe Bryant excited for season opener vs. Rockets - October 28, 2014