- Adam Silver says NBA players don’t tank
- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
Lakers news: Nick Young to play through sprained finger
- Updated: November 29, 2013
Los Angeles Lakers forward/guard Nick Young will play with a splint on his sprained ring finger on his left hand in Friday’s game against the Detroit Pistons at the Palace of Auburn Hills according to Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News.
The 28-year-old suffered the injury during the Lakers 99-94 win on Wednesday against the Brooklyn Nets when forward Paul Pierce hit his left hand on his layup attempt in the final two minutes of the fourth quarter. Following the missed layup attempt, Young was subbed out of the game during the next timeout.
After being moved the bench in the fourth game of the season, Young has relished in his new role by providing Los Angeles a scoring option with the second unit. In the past five games he has averaged 17.8 points on 46.3 percent shooting, which includes a season-high 26 points that he scored against the Nets.
Young’s consistent scoring output is also much needed due to the fact that Kobe Bryant is still out rehabbing his surgically-repaired left Achilles tendon. Bryant is also familiar with finger splints as he played with one on during the 2009-10 season when he fractured his right index finger. The 18-year veteran throughout that season fiddled with the splint and altered his shot to compensate for the injured finger.
With that said, it will be interesting to see how Young plays through this injury as it will affect the pressure he can put on the ball with his guide hand when he shots.
Photo Credit: Noah Graham/Getty Images
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Can the Lakers find a balance for Kobe Bryant’s health? - December 21, 2014
- 5 things learned from Lakers 104-103 loss to Thunder - December 20, 2014
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 50: Marcus Mariota wins Heisman, Kobe Bryant passes Michael Jordan - December 15, 2014