- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
49ers LB Ahmad Brooks will appeal fine, won’t take Ray Lewis’ money
- Updated: November 20, 2013
San Francisco 49ers linebacker Ahmad Brooks will appeal the $15,750 fine he received from the NFL for his illegal hit against New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees, according to Chris Mortensen of ESPN.
The seven-year veteran also won’t accept any money from ESPN NFL analyst Ray Lewis, who offered to pay half the fine as a sign of solidarity among NFL players past and present and protest against what he deemed an unfair assessment. The NFL has been unwavering in its quest to protect signal-callers, and though the hit was borderline, it’s easy to see why it was deemed illegal.
Brooks may not have a choice in the matter, however. Lewis was defiant on allowing Brooks to spurn his offer when he spoke to ESPN’s Adam Schefter on Wednesday:
“I will see Ahmad on Monday and I will have a check in hand for half of the fine.”
It may turn out to be a fruitless endeavor on Lewis’ part since the NFL has specific rules which prohibit players from accepting money to pay their fines. Policing such a regulation, though, will prove difficult since it would be nearly impossible for the league to monitor the situation closely enough to prove any formal exchange of funds took place.
Given the high-profile nature of the incident and subsequent coverage, it’s hard to imagine that Lewis or anyone else will actually go through with paying Brooks.
It’s a situation worth monitoring at the very least.
Photo Credit: Jeff Curry/USA TODAY Sports
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks - December 12, 2014
- VIDEO: Russell Wilson makes Fletcher Cox look silly on quarterback scramble - December 7, 2014
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70 - December 5, 2014