- NHL playoffs 2014 preview: Stanley Cup roundtable and predictions
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 15: 49ers’ Aldon Smith arrested, Josh Hamilton out for two months
- NFL Draft 2014: Whose stock is rising and falling?
- Lakers lose 7th straight in home finale blowout vs. Grizzlies, 102-90
- Sacramento Kings look ahead in win vs. Minnesota Timberwolves
- Are stalled contract talks weighing down Pablo Sandoval?
- Los Angeles Lakers: 5 players L.A. needs to keep in 2014-15
- NHL Playoffs 2014: 3 dark horse Western Conference squads with a shot at the Stanley Cup
49ers LB Ahmad Brooks will appeal fine, won’t take Ray Lewis’ money
- Updated: November 20, 2013
San Francisco 49ers linebacker Ahmad Brooks will appeal the $15,750 fine he received from the NFL for his illegal hit against New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees, according to Chris Mortensen of ESPN.
The seven-year veteran also won’t accept any money from ESPN NFL analyst Ray Lewis, who offered to pay half the fine as a sign of solidarity among NFL players past and present and protest against what he deemed an unfair assessment. The NFL has been unwavering in its quest to protect signal-callers, and though the hit was borderline, it’s easy to see why it was deemed illegal.
Brooks may not have a choice in the matter, however. Lewis was defiant on allowing Brooks to spurn his offer when he spoke to ESPN’s Adam Schefter on Wednesday:
“I will see Ahmad on Monday and I will have a check in hand for half of the fine.”
It may turn out to be a fruitless endeavor on Lewis’ part since the NFL has specific rules which prohibit players from accepting money to pay their fines. Policing such a regulation, though, will prove difficult since it would be nearly impossible for the league to monitor the situation closely enough to prove any formal exchange of funds took place.
Given the high-profile nature of the incident and subsequent coverage, it’s hard to imagine that Lewis or anyone else will actually go through with paying Brooks.
It’s a situation worth monitoring at the very least.
Photo Credit: Jeff Curry/USA TODAY Sports
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding - April 16, 2014
- Michael Cuddyer injury: Rockies OF exits with hurt right elbow - April 14, 2014
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale - April 14, 2014