- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
- Sacramento Kings unveil new 2014 home, away jerseys
- NFL Training Camp 2014: Chargers season preview
- Raiders training camp 2014: Darren McFadden unfazed by demotion
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy
- Outdoor game between Sharks and Kings leaked
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71
- UCLA to replace waterlogged court at Pauley Pavilion
Ex-Raider LB Thomas Howard killed in highway crash
- Updated: November 18, 2013
The 30-year-old reportedly drove his car at speeds near 100 mph when he collided into the back of a tractor-trailer, which subsequently toppled his vehicle into oncoming traffic. Howard’s action was responsible for the death of a 55-year-old man as well.
Howard’s death came less than a week after he was released by the Atlanta Falcons. The son of a former NFL player, the Texas native logged five seasons with the Oakland Raiders and two with the Cincinnati Bengals. Howard made 78 starts in 95 games.
Howard was drafted 38th overall by the Raiders out of UTEP in 2006, as owner/general manager Al Davis coveted the outside linebacker for his outstanding range and playmaking potential. Howard collected a career-high 110 tackles as a rookie and recorded six interceptions the year after, but his marginal instincts never allowed him to make the leap to a Pro Bowl-caliber defender.
After the Raiders cut ties, the Bengals recruited Howard in to start in 2011, but he lost his starting job after tearing an ACL in 2012 and being replaced by Vontaze Burfict. Howard never played a down for the Falcons, and he will be remembered as a selfless individual.
Photo Credit: Elpasotimes.com
Latest posts by Rui Thomas (see all)
- Raiders shock the world in preseason finale vs Seahawks - August 29, 2014
- Raiders face more questions after preseason loss to Packers - August 23, 2014
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’ - August 18, 2014