- Raiders’ veteran imports hungry for respect
- Chris Paul injury: Clippers’ guard slowed by hamstring in practice
- Richard Sherman, Seahawks nearing contract extension, per report
- San Francisco Giants’ offense suddenly stalled
- 2014 NBA playoffs roundtable and predictions
- NHL playoffs 2014 preview: Stanley Cup roundtable and predictions
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 15: 49ers’ Aldon Smith arrested, Josh Hamilton out for two months
- NFL Draft 2014: Whose stock is rising and falling?
Ex-Raider LB Thomas Howard killed in highway crash
- Updated: November 18, 2013
The 30-year-old reportedly drove his car at speeds near 100 mph when he collided into the back of a tractor-trailer, which subsequently toppled his vehicle into oncoming traffic. Howard’s action was responsible for the death of a 55-year-old man as well.
Howard’s death came less than a week after he was released by the Atlanta Falcons. The son of a former NFL player, the Texas native logged five seasons with the Oakland Raiders and two with the Cincinnati Bengals. Howard made 78 starts in 95 games.
Howard was drafted 38th overall by the Raiders out of UTEP in 2006, as owner/general manager Al Davis coveted the outside linebacker for his outstanding range and playmaking potential. Howard collected a career-high 110 tackles as a rookie and recorded six interceptions the year after, but his marginal instincts never allowed him to make the leap to a Pro Bowl-caliber defender.
After the Raiders cut ties, the Bengals recruited Howard in to start in 2011, but he lost his starting job after tearing an ACL in 2012 and being replaced by Vontaze Burfict. Howard never played a down for the Falcons, and he will be remembered as a selfless individual.
Photo Credit: Elpasotimes.com
Latest posts by Rui Thomas (see all)
- Raiders’ veteran imports hungry for respect - April 23, 2014
- Sacramento Kings experiment in loss to Phoenix Suns - April 17, 2014
- Sacramento Kings look ahead in win vs. Minnesota Timberwolves - April 14, 2014