- Seattle Seahawks jerseys top NFLshop.com sales
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres
- NBA Summer League 2014: Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson lead Lakers past Nuggets, 83-77
- Joe Torre on Hall of Fame: ‘Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity’
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million
- Steve Kerr impresses at NBA Summer League, despite record
- British Open 2014: Tiger Woods fires 69, sits 3 shots back after Round 1
- The Sacramento Kings’ veteran crisis
- NBA Summer League tournament beginning to take shape
- 5 NBA Summer League players who could earn rotation spots
Lakers news: Chris Kaman to start over Shawne Williams
- Updated: November 7, 2013
The change to the starting lineup was expected as the Lakers will be facing a big front court combination of Dwight Howard and Omer Asik. The pairing of Kaman and Pau Gasol in the preseason had shown some promise with the two displaying great chemistry and communication.
“Obviously, it’s a big lineup we’re playing,” Kaman said. “I thought me and Pau played well [together] in the preseason.”
In the five games that Williams started, he struggled to produce on the floor averaging 3.2 points, 3.0 rebounds including shooting 30 percent from 3-point range in 13 minutes per game. In the team’s last game on Tuesday against the Dallas Mavericks, he had three points on 1-of-2 shooting from beyond the arc in just five minutes on the floor and did not play in the second half.
Kaman up to this point in the season has been productive off the bench averaging 9.0 points and 5.8 rebounds in 16 minutes per game, and has scored in double figures in four out of the five game the Lakers have played this year.
With Kaman and Gasol in the starting lineup on Thursday, it will allow for the two big men to continue to build on their good chemistry and uses their similar style of play to bring the Rockets’ big men out of the paint by utilizing their mid-range game.
Photo Credit: Getty Images / October 18, 2013