- Raiders training camp 2014: Dennis Allen in ‘love’ with his quarterbacks
- NFL training camp 2014: Tony Bergstrom ready to meet expectations
- NFL training camp 2014: Raiders have an admirer in Justin Tuck
- Dwight Freeney, Chargers’ linebackers look to improve pass rush in 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
- Seattle Seahawks jerseys top NFLshop.com sales
Lakers news: Chris Kaman to start over Shawne Williams
- Updated: November 7, 2013
The change to the starting lineup was expected as the Lakers will be facing a big front court combination of Dwight Howard and Omer Asik. The pairing of Kaman and Pau Gasol in the preseason had shown some promise with the two displaying great chemistry and communication.
“Obviously, it’s a big lineup we’re playing,” Kaman said. “I thought me and Pau played well [together] in the preseason.”
In the five games that Williams started, he struggled to produce on the floor averaging 3.2 points, 3.0 rebounds including shooting 30 percent from 3-point range in 13 minutes per game. In the team’s last game on Tuesday against the Dallas Mavericks, he had three points on 1-of-2 shooting from beyond the arc in just five minutes on the floor and did not play in the second half.
Kaman up to this point in the season has been productive off the bench averaging 9.0 points and 5.8 rebounds in 16 minutes per game, and has scored in double figures in four out of the five game the Lakers have played this year.
With Kaman and Gasol in the starting lineup on Thursday, it will allow for the two big men to continue to build on their good chemistry and uses their similar style of play to bring the Rockets’ big men out of the paint by utilizing their mid-range game.
Photo Credit: Getty Images / October 18, 2013
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 30: Lakers hire Byron Scott, Kendall Hunter tears ACL - July 28, 2014
- Byron Scott the right choice as Lakers next head coach - July 27, 2014
- Carlos Boozer says Kobe Bryant told him to ‘come ready’ - July 26, 2014