- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report
- Byron Scott dismisses talk of Kobe Bryant retirement
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs
- Marshawn Lynch may face discipline for media silence, lewd gesture
- Jack Del Rio says he’s been a ‘Raider his whole life’
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 126-121 loss to Cavaliers
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried?
- Jordan Farmar calls being waived by Clippers ‘mutual’
- Padres to host 2016 MLB All-Star game at Petco Park
- Clippers get Austin Rivers in 3-team trade involving Reggie Bullock
Lakers news: Chris Kaman to start over Shawne Williams
- Updated: November 7, 2013
The change to the starting lineup was expected as the Lakers will be facing a big front court combination of Dwight Howard and Omer Asik. The pairing of Kaman and Pau Gasol in the preseason had shown some promise with the two displaying great chemistry and communication.
“Obviously, it’s a big lineup we’re playing,” Kaman said. “I thought me and Pau played well [together] in the preseason.”
In the five games that Williams started, he struggled to produce on the floor averaging 3.2 points, 3.0 rebounds including shooting 30 percent from 3-point range in 13 minutes per game. In the team’s last game on Tuesday against the Dallas Mavericks, he had three points on 1-of-2 shooting from beyond the arc in just five minutes on the floor and did not play in the second half.
Kaman up to this point in the season has been productive off the bench averaging 9.0 points and 5.8 rebounds in 16 minutes per game, and has scored in double figures in four out of the five game the Lakers have played this year.
With Kaman and Gasol in the starting lineup on Thursday, it will allow for the two big men to continue to build on their good chemistry and uses their similar style of play to bring the Rockets’ big men out of the paint by utilizing their mid-range game.
Photo Credit: Getty Images / October 18, 2013
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak expects Kobe Bryant to return next season - January 30, 2015
- Pau Gasol gets standing ovation in return to Los Angeles - January 30, 2015
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 4: Kobe Bryant expected to miss rest of season, Team Irvin wins Pro Bowl - January 26, 2015