- Angels midseason grades: Turmoil overshadows reasonable start
- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency
- Matt Kemp hitting leadoff as Padres shake things up vs. Giants
- Padres promote Pat Murphy for remainder of the season
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons
- 3 takeaways from Seattle Seahawks OTAs
- Stephen Curry goes cold as Warriors fall to Cavs in OT, 95-93
- San Diego State, USD agree to basketball game at Petco Park, add four years to contract
- LeBron James’ 44 not enough as Warriors top Cavs in OT, 108-100
Seattle Sounders defeat Colorado Rapids, 2-0: Post-game reactions (VIDEO)
- Updated: November 1, 2013
SEATTLE–The Seattle Sounders FC defeated the Colorado Rapids 2-0 in a playoff knockout game to advance to the next round. They will face off on Saturday night against the Portland Timbers.
Midfielder Brad Evans scored an unassisted goal in the 28th minute of play. Forward Eddie Johnson struck in the 93rd minute to double the lead. Clint Dempsey received credit for his first assist as a Sounder on Johnson’s goal.
Seattle keeper Michael Gspurning received a red card in the 83rd minute for touching the ball outside the penalty area. The Austrian will miss the next game. Backup Marcus Hahnemann will make his first playoff appearance in the Portland matchup on Saturday.
The Sounders may be without their young defender DeAndre Yedlin. Yedlin suffered an ankle injury late in the first half, and was substituted out at the start of the second half of play.
Seattle head coach Sigi Schmid, Gspurning and Eddie Johnson shared their thoughts on the match. To view and listen to their comments, here is the video:
Latest posts by John Zielonka (see all)
- USA vs Nigeria WWC pre-match sights and sounds - June 17, 2015
- Seattle players and coaches reactions to Super Bowl loss - February 3, 2015
- Seattle Seahawks arrive in Arizona and hold court with media members - January 26, 2015