- Pac-12 video preview: California Golden Bears at Washington Huskies
- Lakers sign center Robert Upshaw
- Raiders’ Charles Woodson, Derek Carr day-to-day with injuries
- Philip Rivers, Carlos Hyde earn NFL players of the week honors
- Golden State Warriors pursuing Steve Nash, per report
- Video preview: Utah State Aggies at Washington Huskies
- Seattle Seahawks top Las Vegas sportsbook as Super Bowl favorites
- Lions vs. Chargers: Philip Rivers, Melvin Gordon dealing with nerves, excitement
- Richard Sherman: Tom Brady, Patriots didn’t cheat
- Pac-12 preview: Oregon Ducks at Michigan State Spartans
Seattle Sounders defeat Colorado Rapids, 2-0: Post-game reactions (VIDEO)
- Updated: November 1, 2013
SEATTLE–The Seattle Sounders FC defeated the Colorado Rapids 2-0 in a playoff knockout game to advance to the next round. They will face off on Saturday night against the Portland Timbers.
Midfielder Brad Evans scored an unassisted goal in the 28th minute of play. Forward Eddie Johnson struck in the 93rd minute to double the lead. Clint Dempsey received credit for his first assist as a Sounder on Johnson’s goal.
Seattle keeper Michael Gspurning received a red card in the 83rd minute for touching the ball outside the penalty area. The Austrian will miss the next game. Backup Marcus Hahnemann will make his first playoff appearance in the Portland matchup on Saturday.
The Sounders may be without their young defender DeAndre Yedlin. Yedlin suffered an ankle injury late in the first half, and was substituted out at the start of the second half of play.
Seattle head coach Sigi Schmid, Gspurning and Eddie Johnson shared their thoughts on the match. To view and listen to their comments, here is the video:
Latest posts by John Zielonka (see all)
- Pac-12 video preview: California Golden Bears at Washington Huskies - September 23, 2015
- Video preview: Utah State Aggies at Washington Huskies - September 16, 2015
- Pac-12 preview: Oregon Ducks at Michigan State Spartans - September 9, 2015