- Matt Kemp injury: Dodgers OF feeling strong after minor league game
- Phil Jackson rumors: Ex-Lakers coach gets offers from Knicks
- Portland Trail Blazers’ GM eyes ‘elite’ status as goal
- Watch out for the Houston Rockets
- Brandon Browner reinstated by the NFL
- Corey Brewer reflects on his annihilation of Derek Fisher
- 2014 NFL Draft: 5 Pac-12 standouts who could make an immediate impact
- NFL Draft 2014: Jadeveon Clowney should be No. 1 pick, says Marcus Lattimore
- Seahawks choose not to use franchise tag on Steven Hauschka
- Donald Butler signs contract extension with Chargers
Seattle Sounders defeat Colorado Rapids, 2-0: Post-game reactions (VIDEO)
- Updated: November 1, 2013
SEATTLE–The Seattle Sounders FC defeated the Colorado Rapids 2-0 in a playoff knockout game to advance to the next round. They will face off on Saturday night against the Portland Timbers.
Midfielder Brad Evans scored an unassisted goal in the 28th minute of play. Forward Eddie Johnson struck in the 93rd minute to double the lead. Clint Dempsey received credit for his first assist as a Sounder on Johnson’s goal.
Seattle keeper Michael Gspurning received a red card in the 83rd minute for touching the ball outside the penalty area. The Austrian will miss the next game. Backup Marcus Hahnemann will make his first playoff appearance in the Portland matchup on Saturday.
The Sounders may be without their young defender DeAndre Yedlin. Yedlin suffered an ankle injury late in the first half, and was substituted out at the start of the second half of play.
Seattle head coach Sigi Schmid, Gspurning and Eddie Johnson shared their thoughts on the match. To view and listen to their comments, here is the video:
Latest posts by John Zielonka (see all)
- Rio Ferdinand reported to be in talks with LA Galaxy - January 25, 2014
- NFL extends TV blackout deadline in Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Green Bay - January 3, 2014
- Seattle Sounders FC clean house for upcoming season - December 31, 2013