- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
- Sharks close trip with uninspired loss 4-1 loss to Sabres
- Chargers notes: Seyi Ajirotutu fined, Ryan Mathews and Manti Te’O to return after bye
- Clippers’ concerns revolve around defense and rebounding
- Do the 49ers have an identity crisis?
- Marcus Lattimore injury: 49ers running back has bigger issue
- Klay Thompson signs 4-year, $70 million extension with Warriors
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win
Seattle Sounders defeat Colorado Rapids, 2-0: Post-game reactions (VIDEO)
- Updated: November 1, 2013
SEATTLE–The Seattle Sounders FC defeated the Colorado Rapids 2-0 in a playoff knockout game to advance to the next round. They will face off on Saturday night against the Portland Timbers.
Midfielder Brad Evans scored an unassisted goal in the 28th minute of play. Forward Eddie Johnson struck in the 93rd minute to double the lead. Clint Dempsey received credit for his first assist as a Sounder on Johnson’s goal.
Seattle keeper Michael Gspurning received a red card in the 83rd minute for touching the ball outside the penalty area. The Austrian will miss the next game. Backup Marcus Hahnemann will make his first playoff appearance in the Portland matchup on Saturday.
The Sounders may be without their young defender DeAndre Yedlin. Yedlin suffered an ankle injury late in the first half, and was substituted out at the start of the second half of play.
Seattle head coach Sigi Schmid, Gspurning and Eddie Johnson shared their thoughts on the match. To view and listen to their comments, here is the video: