- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
Seattle Sounders, L.A. Galaxy play to 1-1 draw: Postgame reaction (VIDEO)
- Updated: October 29, 2013
SEATTLE — With massive playoff seeding implications on the line, the Seattle Sounders and the LA Galaxy played to a 1-1 draw in front of 66,216 fans at CenturyLink Field on Sunday.
The tie kept LA as the third seeded playoff Western Conference team. The Galaxy will face Real Salt Lake.
Seattle finished as the fourth seed and host the Colorado Rapids on Wednesday in a one-game knockout match.
Seattle forward Clint Dempsey notched his first goal as a Sounder in the 30th minute of play. While moving toward the left post, Dempsey redirected the ball with the right side of his boot past LA keeper Jaime Penedo to give the Sounders a 1-0 lead.
The Galaxy appeared to secure the tying goal on a corner kick in the 42nd minute. Defender Omar Gonzalez headed the ball towards the center of the Seattle net. Seattle midfielder Osvaldo Alonso kicked the ball out and back into play. In the opinion of the linesman and head referee Mark Geiger, the ball failed to cross the end line.
In the 78th minute, LA forward Robbie Keane one-timed a ball into the turf that bounced high over keeper Michael Gspurning to even the match at 1-1.
Sounders FC head coach Sigi Schmid and Dempsey shared their thoughts in their post game press conferences on the match and upcoming one-match playoff against Colorado.
LA head coach Bruce Arena provided his sentiments on the no-goal, and Keane’s effort and leadership on the pitch.
Check the postgame video below:
Photo Credit : John Zielonka | Sports Out West
Latest posts by John Zielonka (see all)
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl Preview: Utah vs Colorado State - December 18, 2014
- Video: Huskies preview matchup against San Diego State - December 7, 2014
- Post-game reactions to Oregon’s 51-13 win over Arizona - December 6, 2014