- Phil Jackson rumors: Ex-Lakers coach gets offers from Knicks
- Portland Trail Blazers’ GM eyes ‘elite’ status as goal
- Watch out for the Houston Rockets
- Brandon Browner reinstated by the NFL
- Corey Brewer reflects on his annihilation of Derek Fisher
- 2014 NFL Draft: 5 Pac-12 standouts who could make an immediate impact
- NFL Draft 2014: Jadeveon Clowney should be No. 1 pick, says Marcus Lattimore
- Seahawks choose not to use franchise tag on Steven Hauschka
- Donald Butler signs contract extension with Chargers
- Pablo Sandoval credits teammates with weight loss, increased fitness
Seattle Sounders, L.A. Galaxy play to 1-1 draw: Postgame reaction (VIDEO)
- Updated: October 29, 2013
SEATTLE — With massive playoff seeding implications on the line, the Seattle Sounders and the LA Galaxy played to a 1-1 draw in front of 66,216 fans at CenturyLink Field on Sunday.
The tie kept LA as the third seeded playoff Western Conference team. The Galaxy will face Real Salt Lake.
Seattle finished as the fourth seed and host the Colorado Rapids on Wednesday in a one-game knockout match.
Seattle forward Clint Dempsey notched his first goal as a Sounder in the 30th minute of play. While moving toward the left post, Dempsey redirected the ball with the right side of his boot past LA keeper Jaime Penedo to give the Sounders a 1-0 lead.
The Galaxy appeared to secure the tying goal on a corner kick in the 42nd minute. Defender Omar Gonzalez headed the ball towards the center of the Seattle net. Seattle midfielder Osvaldo Alonso kicked the ball out and back into play. In the opinion of the linesman and head referee Mark Geiger, the ball failed to cross the end line.
In the 78th minute, LA forward Robbie Keane one-timed a ball into the turf that bounced high over keeper Michael Gspurning to even the match at 1-1.
Sounders FC head coach Sigi Schmid and Dempsey shared their thoughts in their post game press conferences on the match and upcoming one-match playoff against Colorado.
LA head coach Bruce Arena provided his sentiments on the no-goal, and Keane’s effort and leadership on the pitch.
Check the postgame video below:
Photo Credit : John Zielonka | Sports Out West
Latest posts by John Zielonka (see all)
- Rio Ferdinand reported to be in talks with LA Galaxy - January 25, 2014
- NFL extends TV blackout deadline in Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Green Bay - January 3, 2014
- Seattle Sounders FC clean house for upcoming season - December 31, 2013