- UPDATE: Odell Beckham Jr. wins Madden Cover
- NFL defense contracts tell sad tale of greed
- Clippers dominate 3rd quarter, beat Rockets, 128-95
- Lakers should hold off on max offer sheet to Jimmy Butler
- NFL Draft 2015: Rumors swirl as Day 1 nears
- Josh Hamilton trade: Angels GM says moving on was in team’s ‘best interest’
- Lou Holtz retires: Hopefully shows shift at ESPN
- Anquan Boldin on Colin Kaepernick: ‘Trust your skills’
- NFL trade rumors: Titans Willing to trade No.2 Pick?
- Nick Young injury: Lakers forward likely done for season
Seattle Sounders, L.A. Galaxy play to 1-1 draw: Postgame reaction (VIDEO)
- Updated: October 29, 2013
SEATTLE — With massive playoff seeding implications on the line, the Seattle Sounders and the LA Galaxy played to a 1-1 draw in front of 66,216 fans at CenturyLink Field on Sunday.
The tie kept LA as the third seeded playoff Western Conference team. The Galaxy will face Real Salt Lake.
Seattle finished as the fourth seed and host the Colorado Rapids on Wednesday in a one-game knockout match.
Seattle forward Clint Dempsey notched his first goal as a Sounder in the 30th minute of play. While moving toward the left post, Dempsey redirected the ball with the right side of his boot past LA keeper Jaime Penedo to give the Sounders a 1-0 lead.
The Galaxy appeared to secure the tying goal on a corner kick in the 42nd minute. Defender Omar Gonzalez headed the ball towards the center of the Seattle net. Seattle midfielder Osvaldo Alonso kicked the ball out and back into play. In the opinion of the linesman and head referee Mark Geiger, the ball failed to cross the end line.
In the 78th minute, LA forward Robbie Keane one-timed a ball into the turf that bounced high over keeper Michael Gspurning to even the match at 1-1.
Sounders FC head coach Sigi Schmid and Dempsey shared their thoughts in their post game press conferences on the match and upcoming one-match playoff against Colorado.
LA head coach Bruce Arena provided his sentiments on the no-goal, and Keane’s effort and leadership on the pitch.
Check the postgame video below:
Photo Credit : John Zielonka | Sports Out West
Latest posts by John Zielonka (see all)
- Seattle players and coaches reactions to Super Bowl loss - February 3, 2015
- Seattle Seahawks arrive in Arizona and hold court with media members - January 26, 2015
- Brad Evans: MLS players will ‘absolutely’ strike if demands aren’t met - January 24, 2015