- Pac-12 video preview: California Golden Bears at Washington Huskies
- Lakers sign center Robert Upshaw
- Raiders’ Charles Woodson, Derek Carr day-to-day with injuries
- Philip Rivers, Carlos Hyde earn NFL players of the week honors
- Golden State Warriors pursuing Steve Nash, per report
- Video preview: Utah State Aggies at Washington Huskies
- Seattle Seahawks top Las Vegas sportsbook as Super Bowl favorites
- Lions vs. Chargers: Philip Rivers, Melvin Gordon dealing with nerves, excitement
- Richard Sherman: Tom Brady, Patriots didn’t cheat
- Pac-12 preview: Oregon Ducks at Michigan State Spartans
Lakers rumors: Shannon Brown nearing return to L.A., says report
- Updated: October 28, 2013
The Washington Wizards are expected to release the two-time NBA champion in the coming days, and if he does, the Lakers will be in play. Whether or not they decide to sign him is still uncertain, however. He recently came to Washington in a multi-player trade that netted the Wizards big man Marcin Gortat. If the reports are accurate, then he’ll be released along with all other non-Gortat players in the deal.
The Lakers are headed in a new direction under head coach Mike D’Antoni, and it’s conceivable that his athleticism and ability to make plays in the open court would be an attractive coup for the team featuring several players of the same mold.
One concern, however, would be the career-low he averaged from the 3-point line last season with the Phoenix Suns at 27 percent. D’Antoni’s players need to be able to knock down perimeter shots on a consistent basis to have a place in his rotation, so that could cause the head coach to have second thoughts about adding him to a team that’s already had good chemistry during training camp.
The Lakers don’t have a lot of time to make a decision, as they are set to start their season on Oct. 29 against the Los Angeles Clippers in a Lakers home game at Staples Center.
The potential to bring in Brown has the city buzzing, however. Probably because Brown can do things like this:
Photo Credit: Mark J. Terrill | AP
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Raiders’ Charles Woodson, Derek Carr day-to-day with injuries - September 17, 2015
- Philip Rivers, Carlos Hyde earn NFL players of the week honors - September 17, 2015
- Aldon Smith signs 1-year deal with Raiders, charged with three crimes on same day - September 11, 2015