- Phil Jackson rumors: Ex-Lakers coach gets offers from Knicks
- Portland Trail Blazers’ GM eyes ‘elite’ status as goal
- Watch out for the Houston Rockets
- Brandon Browner reinstated by the NFL
- Corey Brewer reflects on his annihilation of Derek Fisher
- 2014 NFL Draft: 5 Pac-12 standouts who could make an immediate impact
- NFL Draft 2014: Jadeveon Clowney should be No. 1 pick, says Marcus Lattimore
- Seahawks choose not to use franchise tag on Steven Hauschka
- Donald Butler signs contract extension with Chargers
- Pablo Sandoval credits teammates with weight loss, increased fitness
Lakers news: Marcus Landry waived, roster stands at 15
- Updated: October 25, 2013
The Los Angeles Lakers waived forward Marcus Landry on Friday, bringing the roster down to 15 players in time for the start of the regular season on Oct. 29.
Landry spent the last three seasons in the NBA D-League and had stints playing overseas playing in China, Venezuela, Spain and Puerto Rico after going undrafted in 2009. The 6-foot-7 forward out of Wisconsin began his NBA career with the New York Knicks and Boston Celtics and averaged 2.4 points, 1.1 rebounds and 6.1 minutes in 18 career games.
He had trouble cracking the Lakers’ rotation behind fellow wing players Nick Young, Wesley Johnson, Shawne Williams and Xavier Henry and became the odd man out after Williams and Henry in particular showed enough to warrant consideration for regular season spots.
Though the team parted ways with him for the time being, it’s conceivable that he could find his way back if a player suffers a major injury. Landry put up strong numbers with the Reno Bighorns of the D-League in 2010-11 and 2012-13, starting in 83 out of 84 games and averaging a respectable 16.9 points, 4.6 rebounds and 1.6 assists in 36.0 minutes.
Photo Credit: Julie Jacobson / Associated Press / July 11, 2013
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- VIDEO: Ty Lawson breaks Jodie Meeks’ ankles, adds insult to Lakers’ woes - March 7, 2014
- Phil Jackson rumors: Ex-Lakers coach gets offers from Knicks - March 7, 2014
- VIDEO: Mike Trout, Yasiel Puig do battle in Spring Training - March 7, 2014