- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
Lakers news: Shawne Williams will start preseason finale
- Updated: October 25, 2013
With Chris Kaman still out as he continues to deal with gastroenteritis, Shawne Williams will take his place in the starting lineup for Friday’s preseason finale against the Utah Jazz at the Honda Center in Anaheim.
“He’s better, but he is still not here today” head coach Mike D’Antoni said onn Thursday at the Lakers’ practice facility. “So I don’t expect him to play tomorrow.”
Kaman has been ruled as doubtful to play against the Jazz as he also did not practice with the team on Thursday. This stomach issue has already forced him to miss Tuesday night’s game, which Williams also played as the team’s starting power forward, scoring nine points and adding five rebounds in 17 minutes on the floor.
Since signing with the Lakers this offseason on a partially-guaranteed contract, Williams has all but secured a spot on the opening day roster playing all seven of the preseason games, starting three of them while averaging 6.1 points, 4.3 rebounds in 16.9 minutes per game.
D’Antoni has praised Williams throughout the preseason stating that he is a “guy that can play.” With that said players such as Marcus Landry and Ryan Kelly remain on the bubble for making the team once the regular season rosters become final on Saturday.
On another related note. Steve Nash is also unlikely to play Friday as he is dealing with neck and ankle issues. If he is unable to take the court, Steve Blake is expected to fill in as the team’s starting point guard.
Photo Credit: Robert Hanashiro – USA TODAY Sports
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 50: Marcus Mariota wins Heisman, Kobe Bryant passes Michael Jordan - December 15, 2014
- Can Jim Buss bring the Lakers back to prominence? - December 14, 2014
- Kobe Bryant loses it at Lakers practice, calls out players as ‘soft’ - December 12, 2014