- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
- Seattle Seahawks jerseys top NFLshop.com sales
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres
- NBA Summer League 2014: Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson lead Lakers past Nuggets, 83-77
- Joe Torre on Hall of Fame: ‘Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity’
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million
- Steve Kerr impresses at NBA Summer League, despite record
- British Open 2014: Tiger Woods fires 69, sits 3 shots back after Round 1
- The Sacramento Kings’ veteran crisis
- NBA Summer League tournament beginning to take shape
Lakers news: Shawne Williams will start preseason finale
- Updated: October 25, 2013
With Chris Kaman still out as he continues to deal with gastroenteritis, Shawne Williams will take his place in the starting lineup for Friday’s preseason finale against the Utah Jazz at the Honda Center in Anaheim.
“He’s better, but he is still not here today” head coach Mike D’Antoni said onn Thursday at the Lakers’ practice facility. “So I don’t expect him to play tomorrow.”
Kaman has been ruled as doubtful to play against the Jazz as he also did not practice with the team on Thursday. This stomach issue has already forced him to miss Tuesday night’s game, which Williams also played as the team’s starting power forward, scoring nine points and adding five rebounds in 17 minutes on the floor.
Since signing with the Lakers this offseason on a partially-guaranteed contract, Williams has all but secured a spot on the opening day roster playing all seven of the preseason games, starting three of them while averaging 6.1 points, 4.3 rebounds in 16.9 minutes per game.
D’Antoni has praised Williams throughout the preseason stating that he is a “guy that can play.” With that said players such as Marcus Landry and Ryan Kelly remain on the bubble for making the team once the regular season rosters become final on Saturday.
On another related note. Steve Nash is also unlikely to play Friday as he is dealing with neck and ankle issues. If he is unable to take the court, Steve Blake is expected to fill in as the team’s starting point guard.
Photo Credit: Robert Hanashiro – USA TODAY Sports
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Jeremy Lin aiming to create a new legacy with Lakers - July 24, 2014
- Blazers news: Rip City jerseys will have sleeves in 2014-15 - July 24, 2014
- Blazers news: Thomas Robinson has thumb surgery - July 23, 2014