- Chargers notes: Do the Bolts have the best receiving corps in football?
- Los Angeles Clippers Media Day 2014: ‘This is our time’
- Jaguars vs. Chargers, Week 4: Bolts win third straight, 33-14
- 4 things learned about the NFC West
- Pac-12 Las Vegas Outlook: Week 4
- Ben McLemore relaxed after lost rookie year
- Giants playoff tickets 209 percent above season average
- Angels playoff tickets up 257 percent from season average
- Marcus Mariota and the way-too-early Heisman watch
- Chargers news: Donald Brown ready to lead Bolts’ backfield
Lakers news: Shawne Williams will start preseason finale
- Updated: October 25, 2013
With Chris Kaman still out as he continues to deal with gastroenteritis, Shawne Williams will take his place in the starting lineup for Friday’s preseason finale against the Utah Jazz at the Honda Center in Anaheim.
“He’s better, but he is still not here today” head coach Mike D’Antoni said onn Thursday at the Lakers’ practice facility. “So I don’t expect him to play tomorrow.”
Kaman has been ruled as doubtful to play against the Jazz as he also did not practice with the team on Thursday. This stomach issue has already forced him to miss Tuesday night’s game, which Williams also played as the team’s starting power forward, scoring nine points and adding five rebounds in 17 minutes on the floor.
Since signing with the Lakers this offseason on a partially-guaranteed contract, Williams has all but secured a spot on the opening day roster playing all seven of the preseason games, starting three of them while averaging 6.1 points, 4.3 rebounds in 16.9 minutes per game.
D’Antoni has praised Williams throughout the preseason stating that he is a “guy that can play.” With that said players such as Marcus Landry and Ryan Kelly remain on the bubble for making the team once the regular season rosters become final on Saturday.
On another related note. Steve Nash is also unlikely to play Friday as he is dealing with neck and ankle issues. If he is unable to take the court, Steve Blake is expected to fill in as the team’s starting point guard.
Photo Credit: Robert Hanashiro – USA TODAY Sports
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 38: UCLA Climbs into top 10, Dodgers win NL West - September 29, 2014
- Kobe Bryant set to enter an intriguing 2014-15 season - September 28, 2014
- Lakers sign Ronnie Price - September 24, 2014