- Rudy Gay traded to Sacramento Kings in exchange for Patrick Patterson, 3 others
- Lakers: Immediate expectations for Kobe Bryant
- Kobe Bryant return: Lakers star to debut Sunday vs. Raptors
- Robinson Cano, Mariners agree to 10-year, $240M deal after Jay-Z gets in the way
- Trail Blazers: ‘Rip City’ is a legitimate Western Conference threat
- Seahawks vs. 49ers preview: Seattle can clinch NFC West with season sweep of division rival
- Kobe Bryant injury update: Lakers G ‘days’ away from returning
- Why Brent Burns is the key to success in San Jose
- Kobe Bryant injury update: Lakers G rules himself for Friday’s game
- Lakers News: Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash practice again
Lakers news: Shawne Williams will start preseason finale
- Updated: October 25, 2013
With Chris Kaman still out as he continues to deal with gastroenteritis, Shawne Williams will take his place in the starting lineup for Friday’s preseason finale against the Utah Jazz at the Honda Center in Anaheim.
“He’s better, but he is still not here today” head coach Mike D’Antoni said onn Thursday at the Lakers’ practice facility. “So I don’t expect him to play tomorrow.”
Kaman has been ruled as doubtful to play against the Jazz as he also did not practice with the team on Thursday. This stomach issue has already forced him to miss Tuesday night’s game, which Williams also played as the team’s starting power forward, scoring nine points and adding five rebounds in 17 minutes on the floor.
Since signing with the Lakers this offseason on a partially-guaranteed contract, Williams has all but secured a spot on the opening day roster playing all seven of the preseason games, starting three of them while averaging 6.1 points, 4.3 rebounds in 16.9 minutes per game.
D’Antoni has praised Williams throughout the preseason stating that he is a “guy that can play.” With that said players such as Marcus Landry and Ryan Kelly remain on the bubble for making the team once the regular season rosters become final on Saturday.
On another related note. Steve Nash is also unlikely to play Friday as he is dealing with neck and ankle issues. If he is unable to take the court, Steve Blake is expected to fill in as the team’s starting point guard.
Photo Credit: Robert Hanashiro – USA TODAY Sports
Latest posts by Bob Garcia (see all)
- Lakers: Immediate expectations for Kobe Bryant - December 8, 2013
- Kobe Bryant injury update: Lakers G ‘days’ away from returning - December 5, 2013
- Kobe Bryant injury update: Lakers G rules himself for Friday’s game - December 4, 2013