- Lou Holtz retires: Hopefully shows shift at ESPN
- Anquan Boldin on Colin Kaepernick: ‘Trust your skills’
- NFL trade rumors: Titans Willing to trade No.2 Pick?
- Nick Young injury: Lakers forward likely done for season
- Metta World Peace expressed interest in St. John’s head coaching job
- Darren Sharper settles multiple rape charges with plea deal
- NFL free agency 2015: Are there any targets left for the Seattle Seahawks?
- Michael Crabtree visits Dolphins amid shrinking market
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 100-98 loss to Rockets
Blazers news: C.J. McCollum will not have foot surgery
- Updated: October 17, 2013
Portland Trail Blazers rookie guard C.J. McCollum on Wednesday successfully underwent a non-operative ultrasound to repair the fifth metatarsal fracture in his left foot instead of having foot surgery, according to a press release by the organization.
The treatment that the Trail Blazers 10th overall selection in the 2013 NBA draft received was done to promote bone growth. McCollum is expected to be out indefinitely and will be reevaluated by the team in six more weeks.
The former Lehigh Mountain Hawk suffered the injury on Oct. 5 in practice when he set a screen on Wesley Matthews, who fought through the pick and sent McCollum to the floor. It is a concerning injury as it is the same bone he broke in a game against Virginia Commonwealth on January 5, 2013 that caused him to miss the remaining three months of the collegiate season.
McCollum had been performing well in training camp and in five games in the 2013 NBA Summer League in Las Vegas he averaged 21.0 points, 3.4 assists, and 4.0 rebounds in 34.6 minutes per game. He was expected to compete against Mo Williams, Earl Watson, Will Barton, and Allen Crabbe for playing time in Portland’s backcourt.
With McCollum out indefinitely, it will likely put pressure for more production out of last year’s Rookie of the Year Damian Lillard.
Photo Credit: Garrett W. Ellwood/NBAE via Getty Images
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 16: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has surgery, Raiders sign Michael Crabtree - April 20, 2015
- Lakers set to embarking on crucial offseason - April 19, 2015
- Lakers’ 2014-15 season exit interviews - April 16, 2015