- Phil Jackson rumors: Ex-Lakers coach gets offers from Knicks
- Portland Trail Blazers’ GM eyes ‘elite’ status as goal
- Watch out for the Houston Rockets
- Brandon Browner reinstated by the NFL
- Corey Brewer reflects on his annihilation of Derek Fisher
- 2014 NFL Draft: 5 Pac-12 standouts who could make an immediate impact
- NFL Draft 2014: Jadeveon Clowney should be No. 1 pick, says Marcus Lattimore
- Seahawks choose not to use franchise tag on Steven Hauschka
- Donald Butler signs contract extension with Chargers
- Pablo Sandoval credits teammates with weight loss, increased fitness
Blazers news: C.J. McCollum will not have foot surgery
- Updated: October 17, 2013
Portland Trail Blazers rookie guard C.J. McCollum on Wednesday successfully underwent a non-operative ultrasound to repair the fifth metatarsal fracture in his left foot instead of having foot surgery, according to a press release by the organization.
The treatment that the Trail Blazers 10th overall selection in the 2013 NBA draft received was done to promote bone growth. McCollum is expected to be out indefinitely and will be reevaluated by the team in six more weeks.
The former Lehigh Mountain Hawk suffered the injury on Oct. 5 in practice when he set a screen on Wesley Matthews, who fought through the pick and sent McCollum to the floor. It is a concerning injury as it is the same bone he broke in a game against Virginia Commonwealth on January 5, 2013 that caused him to miss the remaining three months of the collegiate season.
McCollum had been performing well in training camp and in five games in the 2013 NBA Summer League in Las Vegas he averaged 21.0 points, 3.4 assists, and 4.0 rebounds in 34.6 minutes per game. He was expected to compete against Mo Williams, Earl Watson, Will Barton, and Allen Crabbe for playing time in Portland’s backcourt.
With McCollum out indefinitely, it will likely put pressure for more production out of last year’s Rookie of the Year Damian Lillard.
Photo Credit: Garrett W. Ellwood/NBAE via Getty Images
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Have the Los Angeles Lakers finally hit rock bottom this season? - March 7, 2014
- Lakers suffer franchise worst loss in a 142-94 blowout to Clippers - March 7, 2014
- Kobe Bryant has a message for the haters - March 6, 2014