- Northern Trust Open 2015: James Hahn is the people’s champ
- NFL Combine 2015: Top 5 Winners and Losers
- Lakers news: Julius Randle expected to play NBA Summer League
- NFL Scouting Combine: Marcus Mariota tops QBs with 4.52 40-yard dash
- Doc Rivers still recruiting Kendrick Perkins ‘hard,’ per report
- Brett Hundley impresses at NFL Combine with 4.63 40
- San Diego mayor on Chargers-Raiders proposal: ‘That’s not how you do business’
- Chargers, Raiders move forward with Los Angeles stadium proposal
- Seahawks GM seeks Marshawn Lynch contract resolution
- Oregon, head coach Mark Helfrich agree to 5-year, $17.5M extension
Blazers news: C.J. McCollum will not have foot surgery
- Updated: October 17, 2013
Portland Trail Blazers rookie guard C.J. McCollum on Wednesday successfully underwent a non-operative ultrasound to repair the fifth metatarsal fracture in his left foot instead of having foot surgery, according to a press release by the organization.
The treatment that the Trail Blazers 10th overall selection in the 2013 NBA draft received was done to promote bone growth. McCollum is expected to be out indefinitely and will be reevaluated by the team in six more weeks.
The former Lehigh Mountain Hawk suffered the injury on Oct. 5 in practice when he set a screen on Wesley Matthews, who fought through the pick and sent McCollum to the floor. It is a concerning injury as it is the same bone he broke in a game against Virginia Commonwealth on January 5, 2013 that caused him to miss the remaining three months of the collegiate season.
McCollum had been performing well in training camp and in five games in the 2013 NBA Summer League in Las Vegas he averaged 21.0 points, 3.4 assists, and 4.0 rebounds in 34.6 minutes per game. He was expected to compete against Mo Williams, Earl Watson, Will Barton, and Allen Crabbe for playing time in Portland’s backcourt.
With McCollum out indefinitely, it will likely put pressure for more production out of last year’s Rookie of the Year Damian Lillard.
Photo Credit: Garrett W. Ellwood/NBAE via Getty Images
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- 5 things we learned from Lakers’ win 118-111 over Celtics - February 23, 2015
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 8: Mayweather-Pacquiao fight on, Raiders and Chargers planning move - February 23, 2015
- Lakers’ future plans must include plenty of patience - February 22, 2015