- NFL quote roundup, Week 15: No team in LA for 2015 season
- Adam Silver says NBA players don’t tank
- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
Blazers news: C.J. McCollum will not have foot surgery
- Updated: October 17, 2013
Portland Trail Blazers rookie guard C.J. McCollum on Wednesday successfully underwent a non-operative ultrasound to repair the fifth metatarsal fracture in his left foot instead of having foot surgery, according to a press release by the organization.
The treatment that the Trail Blazers 10th overall selection in the 2013 NBA draft received was done to promote bone growth. McCollum is expected to be out indefinitely and will be reevaluated by the team in six more weeks.
The former Lehigh Mountain Hawk suffered the injury on Oct. 5 in practice when he set a screen on Wesley Matthews, who fought through the pick and sent McCollum to the floor. It is a concerning injury as it is the same bone he broke in a game against Virginia Commonwealth on January 5, 2013 that caused him to miss the remaining three months of the collegiate season.
McCollum had been performing well in training camp and in five games in the 2013 NBA Summer League in Las Vegas he averaged 21.0 points, 3.4 assists, and 4.0 rebounds in 34.6 minutes per game. He was expected to compete against Mo Williams, Earl Watson, Will Barton, and Allen Crabbe for playing time in Portland’s backcourt.
With McCollum out indefinitely, it will likely put pressure for more production out of last year’s Rookie of the Year Damian Lillard.
Photo Credit: Garrett W. Ellwood/NBAE via Getty Images
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 51: Seahawks keep rolling, Padres get Justin Upton - December 22, 2014
- Can the Lakers find a balance for Kobe Bryant’s health? - December 21, 2014
- 5 things learned from Lakers 104-103 loss to Thunder - December 20, 2014