- Oakland Athletics ace Scott Kazmir headed to Houston
- Antonio Gates suspension: A look at Chargers tight ends who must step up
- Angels midseason grades: Turmoil overshadows reasonable start
- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency
- Matt Kemp hitting leadoff as Padres shake things up vs. Giants
- Padres promote Pat Murphy for remainder of the season
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons
- 3 takeaways from Seattle Seahawks OTAs
- Stephen Curry goes cold as Warriors fall to Cavs in OT, 95-93
Lakers News: Pau Gasol, Nick Young and Ryan Kelly health status updates
- Updated: October 3, 2013
As the Los Angeles Lakers near completing their first week of training camp, several players on the team are dealing with health issues.
Nick Young in Thursday’s morning practice tweaked his ankle and is likely to miss Saturday’s preseason opener against the Golden State Warriors in Ontario at the Citizens Business Bank Arena.
“Nick tweaked his ankle a little bit today,” Lakers head coach Mike D’Antoni said. ” So I don’t think he will be there Saturday. He will probably sit out tomorrow and sit out Saturday.”
Pau Gasol participated in 5-on-5 scrimmages during Thursday practice and still appears to be ahead schedule.
“I am glad I can fully practice at this point,” Gasol said. “But I don’t want to get too excited. My goal is to be 100 percent by opening night and I have to be 100 percent in a week or two.”
He also added that there is a chance he may play in only one of the two preseason games this upcoming weekend.
Los Angeles 2013 second round selection Ryan Kelly has also been progressing along in his rehabilitation from April foot surgery.
“It’s been normal workouts,” Kelly said. “Its about getting into shape both breath wise and your legs because I haven’t played basketball in awhile that’s the bottom line. Working with our coaching staff and getting the work in.”
Kelly is aiming toward playing in some preseason games but still has no timetable for his return. He appears to be in head in the right direction with how his foot has responded so far in training camp.
“My foot is 100 percent,” Kelly said. “Where I am at physically that’s hard to judge. It’s going to take some. I got into the first drill today in practice. I’m trying to stay involved as much as I can and take it day by day.”
Thursday was his second day of running and shooting on the court. Kelly’s next step in his recovery is to steadily increase his workload of running and shooting.
Photo Credit: Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Lakers must start D’Angelo Russell and Jordan Clarkson in backcourt - July 28, 2015
- Brandon Bass ready to “do all the little things” with Lakers - July 22, 2015
- Lou Williams eyeing ‘fresh start’ with Lakers - July 22, 2015