- Boise State denies that Sam Ukwuachu’s 2013 dismissal was because of allegations of abuse
- Russell Wilson says he didn’t suffer a concussion in NFC Championship game
- Josh Rosen beats out Jerry Neuheisel as UCLA starting quarterback
- Jered Weaver says dugout outburst not aimed at Mike Trout
- Chargers news: Chris Watt should be getting more attention than D.J. Fluker
- Connor Halliday ready to restart professional football career
- Raiders, Taylor Mays officially agree to contract terms
- NaVorro Bowman brings needed lift to 49ers
- Kenny Stabler named Pro Football Hall of Fame senior finalist
- Sounders FC score 2 late goals against CD Olimpia in CONCACAF Champions League
How will the Chargers handle the injuries of Malcom Floyd and Dwight Freeney?
- Updated: October 2, 2013
Injuries are a part of every NFL season and they hit every team in some form or fashion. This week the San Diego Chargers were hit hard on both sides of the football. The team announced that both Dwight Freeney and Malcom Floyd have suffered season ending injuries.
The loss of Freeney hurts more than his numbers would suggest. He has registered just one tackle, one assist, and only half a sack. However, he leads the team in quarterback pressures. With him being out one has to wonder who will replace his pressure.
Behind Freeney on the depth chart is rookie sixth-round pick Tourek Williams. The team also signed former Stanford linebacker, Thomas Keiser off their practice squad. Look for the Chargers to scan the waiver wire to see if there is anyone they can bring in to help with depth at the position.
For Freeney, at age 33 and very few suitors this past offseason, this unfortunately may be the end of the line for him.
Floyd has not played since the Week 2 game against the Philadelphia Eagles. The Chargers offense has done a great job of producing in his absence. Floyd would normally be a nice target for Philip Rivers in the red zone, however, last week the team surprisingly used Danny Woodhead in the red zone and was successful.
Floyd is no spring chicken at age 32, but he is under contract for next season. One has to wonder how well he will bounce back from this injury.
The team has done a solid job of handling all the injuries that have come their way since mini-camp. When linebacker Melvin Ingram went down, the team didn’t flinch and that appears to be their approach now. Every NFL team clings to the mantra, “Next man up!” However, few execute it well; the Chargers hope to be one of the few.